Gunnar Henderson 2023

Just Regular

2 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

Gunnar had a huge June, but did so by getting more aggressive and still retaining some swing and miss - he had a 5.1 BB% and 30.4 K%. He was so passive earlier in the year that he was getting pitches to hit and he clobbered them. 

In July, seems like pitchers adjusted and Gunnar did as well. He was back up to a 9.9 BB% and all the way down to a 19.8 K%. 

If Gunnar continues improving against LHP and settles in as a 10 BB%, 20 K% guy, he’s going to be a perennial MVP candidate. With his defense, power and hard hit rates that’s an insanely productive combination without many weaknesses. 

He is the most explosive guy that I can remember coming up for the Orioles in my lifetime.  His combo of speed, arm, and power is better than anyone I can remember us developing.  Maybe Brady was similar but he didn't have the arm.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, baltfan said:

He is the most explosive guy that I can remember coming up for the Orioles in my lifetime.  His combo of speed, arm, and power is better than anyone I can remember us developing.  Maybe Brady was similar but he didn't have the arm.

He's basically Manny but left-handed and way faster. 

• Upvote 1

He took his lumps early on this season when pitchers were just nibbling and giving him a lot of junk.  They still do that to Adley, Gunnar, and now Cowser.  Just wait until Gunnar and Adley get a rep of being selective.  They'll start having the borderline calls go there way.  Hitting in front of Adley really helped Gunnar.  However, now he is ready for the #3 spot, if we can get Mullins back healthy.  

Gunnar has infinitely better plate discipline than Manny, but Manny has a better hit tool. Otherwise, it’s a good comp. Manny is like Gunnar with a dash of Ryan Mountcastle.

(And that’s not to be disparaging to either Manny or Mounty - Mountcastle has a top line hit tool / power combo. It’s just the chase rate…)

46 minutes ago, interloper said:

Gunnar is also an excellent base runner. He's about as complete a player as you can get.

The one thing he could work on is being able to steal bases.  He doesn't seem to get great jumps.  While he has good top speed, I am not sure he accelerates that well.  He should be better at stealing though.  It seems there have been times when it made sense for him to run and Hyde hasn't sent him.  I suspect that is because early in the year he was getting caught.