Gunnar Henderson 2023

Just Regular

1 hour ago, ShoelesJoe said:

Hitting .276 / .325 / .540 / .865 since June 1st, which I think is about his normal production going forward. Maybe he'll draw more walks if teams start pitching around him, but given the other young talent in our system that will be batting in front of and behind him that might not be a viable option. Not to blaspheme, but Gunnar has a fair chance to be our best player since Cal. 

I would expect Gunnar's power to improve as he ages into his mid twenties and puts on some more muscle as his body fills out. And Gunnar's batting eye should only improve with more experience.

Gunnar could be a monster for opposing pitchers in a couple years.

9 hours ago, ShoelesJoe said:

Not to blaspheme, but Gunnar has a fair chance to be our best player since Cal. 

How would that be blasphemy?   We haven’t produced many good players since Cal.  At least ones who had significant careers in Baltimore.  Manny is the obvious no. 1 since then among position players.  Could Gunnar be as good as Manny?   Too soon to say, but he’s having a great rookie season.  Adley may nave something to say about it, too.

Edited by Frobby

24 minutes ago, Frobby said:

How would that be blasphemy?   We haven’t produced many good players since Cal.  At least ones who had significant careers in Baltimore.  Manny is the obvious no. 1 since then among position players.  Could Gunnar be as good as Manny?   Too soon to say, but he’s having a great rookie season.  Adley may nave something to say about it, too.

Gunnar is better than Adley.

ROY is over unless Gunnar goes into some kind of a horrific slump.

29 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Gunnar is better than Adley this year.  Maybe long term too, but I’m not going to overreact to one season. We’ll see.  He’ll almost certainly have a higher cumulative WAR total, but in terms of peak WAR, it’s an open question IMO.

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Gunnar is better than Adley this year.  Maybe long term too, but I’m not going to overreact to one season. We’ll see.  He’ll almost certainly have a higher cumulative WAR total, but in terms of peak WAR, it’s an open question IMO.

It has nothing to do with overreacting to one year. Gunnar hits the ball harder, has more speed, will play more innings at a more impactful position, has more power, is younger, etc…

Adley is more irreplaceable but he’s not as good.

Edited by Sports Guy
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It has nothing to do with overreacting to one year. Gunnar hits the ball harder, has more speed, will play more innings at a more impactful position, has more power, is younger, etc…

Adley is more irreplaceable but he’s not as good.

You lost me at “more impactful position”

49 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I really don't see any point in comparing players with different positions and skill sets.  Both are fantastic players and human beings.  Enjoy the ride.

I don’t think we know Gunnar’s ceiling yet.  The last 84 games he’s hit .277/.325/.541, which is an excellent slash line, but is there yet another gear there?   I feel like at a minimum he’s capable of posting a higher OBP than that without sacrificing other aspects of his game.  His K rate is 25.8% in that span, but I think he’s capable of lowering that, too.  The guy is very driven to improve, you can just tell it by his demeanor whenever he strikes out or hits some harmless grounder to the right side.  It will be fun to see what he becomes. 

1 minute ago, dystopia said:

Gunner fWAR: 3.2

Adley fWAR: 3.4

I do agree Gunner has been better this year, but they're pretty close in value. Gunner does have the higher rWAR. 

SG has made it known that he considers fWAR to be far superior to rWAR, so he’s got to live with that. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Adley DH’s a lot of innings. Gunnar doesn’t.

Yes, that’s a point in Gunnar’s favor.  But C is more impactful than SS/3B.

Anyway, we will see what each player becomes.  I don’t think either is at their peak.  Which is great to think about if you’re an Orioles fan.