Bautista 2023

Sports Guy

51 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

I swear one of the low and away strikes he got last night was on a slider not splitter. Seemed to have slider action. But Palmer said splitter so I’ll trust his take on that.  I do often wonder where the slider is, when it’s clear he’s hanging the split a bit. 

I believe you’re correct,, there was one slider in there.  Good one, too.  

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I believe you’re correct,, there was one slider in there.  Good one, too.  

In that case, you'd think Adley and/or Bautista would go to the slider, especially against a RH hitter like Baez when the splitter doesn't seem to be there.    I think Adley is a bit stubborn sometimes on pitch calling.    

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

You're going to have to put up with runners stealing on him.   He doesn't give up many baserunners and you don't want Bautista fooling around with a slide step.   It's going to cost him once in a while but it's the price of doing business.

This is accurate, and quite frankly we don’t want him worrying about runners. Just pump in 100+ and get Ks. I’m not Sig, but my analytics so over the course of a season, that is the better option. 

15 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

In that case, you'd think Adley and/or Bautista would go to the slider, especially against a RH hitter like Baez when the splitter doesn't seem to be there.    I think Adley is a bit stubborn sometimes on pitch calling.    

GameDay says he threw only fastballs and splitters.  But I was watching the game with a friend who commented that a pitch the announcers called a splitter actually was a slider.  So, maybe.  

2 minutes ago, 24fps said:

It wouldn't be terrible if Bautista got a couple or three days off soon. 

With how consistent he is missing pitches up, I think it is more of a mechanical issue than fatigue.  Give him a few days off to have a good bullpen session while fresh.

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, 24fps said:

It wouldn't be terrible if Bautista got a couple or three days off soon. 

He and Baker both need two days off.  GRod and Voth need to cover 8 innings tomorrow between the two of them.  Akin has been looking trustworthy lately too.  Cano and Coulombe both available tomorrow night.   Baumann?  Maybe.

57 minutes ago, yark14 said:

With how consistent he is missing pitches up, I think it is more of a mechanical issue than fatigue.  Give him a few days off to have a good bullpen session while fresh.

Or perhaps overthrowing because he doesn’t have his usual velocity.  A lot of 97’s tonight.

• Upvote 1

Hyde was basically begging the Bats in his postgame presser to get the team a win not close.

The funny thing is, watching a team that is trying at last against teams that are not trying, it feels possible.

We're holding serve against OAK-WAS-DET-BOS-DET, but we're not winning right.

Talk about your first world problems!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• No doubt. As I was about to settle into bed last night to waiting for the Os game to start (west coast start time, after all) my wife came in and casually said "Os won, that's good" as she was putting around the room. Not knowing it was a day game and it had been played hours ago my first reaction was "damnit, what?!" instead of "oh cool".   Addict.  
    • This is spot on. You make the offer if there is need and he projects as worth that amount within the context of what else you play to do financially. Does he fit into your total budget plan if he accepts? If he's still here in September, we will have a better feel for the situation.
    • I'd take some Mason Miller from the A's please. I want Logan Webb. I don't think he's contract is that bad. He could help us this year then be the #1 when Burnes leaves for FA. We'd have him for 4 more years with him being 31 when it expires. I don't think the Astros will be sellers at all. Even if they lose 90 games, they'll think they have a core to contend again next year. That's if they're not in the playoff chase come August/September.
    • Tanner Scott is on his final year with the Marlins and Hunter Harvey has one more year with the Nats, those are the likely biggest available names. Kopech from CWS is also a potential RP option. Problem is there are very few actually worthwhile players on the teams that will sell - I don’t expect the Giants, Astros, Cardinals or Angels to sell even if they should. The Nats have some good young players that won’t be available, and not much else. And the Rockies are baffling adverse to trading any of their players, if they even end up with someone worth trading for.  Mason Miller and Jesus Luzardo have plenty of team control left (pretty much all of it for Miller, and 2 years after this one for Luzardo), they will get talked about a lot but are not super likely to move. Luzardo also has pitched quite poorly thus far. 
    • Because you and I text often, and did during the game yesterday...you know how annoying and negative I can be. I'm a whiner and complainer when it comes to this team. But when we win, and I see some kind of performance like Henderson gave...I want to write a sonnet or symphony in my mind...paint some sort of masterpiece. I have to put my joy SOMEWHERE. Yes, I probably am over the top in my love for this team. WEAMS came and stayed at my home a few years ago and was mesmerised by my Oriole  collection of memorabilia that goes back more than 50 years when I was a batboy. Brooks Robinson and Palmer stayed for a weekend once. I was told to take all my Oriole stuff down, lest Brooks think I'm a kook. Brooks David, his son, told me to "keep all the stuff up...my dad LOVES this stuff. And Brooks Sr did INDEED "love the stuff". So, yes, even in a long up and down season...I cant curb my addiction. I sulk when we lose or are losing...and I'm giddy as a 5 year old when we win dramatically. Maybe I should seek a therapist. But I don't want to. I dont want to or need to be "fixed"....To quote the line from earlier in this comment...."I love this stuff". Its a romance that breaks my heart sometimes, but when it's right and I'm happy...nothing else in sports for me, comes close.
    • I have a feeling they take a corner in the first round
    • We've been also doing this while carrying Holliday's bat.  Other than that, we have a Braves level offense.  
  • Popular Contributors