Bautista 2023

Sports Guy

1 hour ago, Roy Firestone said:

Felix hasn't been as sharp lately...starting to remind me of Armando...needs a bunch of days off..This might've been a different outcome with a team that could hit...Felix would've been rocked tonight against the Jays, or Rays or Yankees...

I can't help but be honest with myself and say that as much as I love Felix, I don't think he's the lock down closer we celebrate him to be. He's too wild and and walks too many batters. Not to mention we've seen some really good fast ball hitters take advantage.

Let's give him his rest and see how he does with several days off. For right now, use Cano as a closer if we need one while Bautista gets his rest. And then consider Baker or Baumann in the closing role if we need it 3 days in a row.

36 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

Not related, but I cant believe how bad Schoop is now...he doesnt remotely resemble the player we saw as an Oriole...He was bad at the plate AND in the field...and that K in the 9th really helped us out..

I wonder if Detroit would be interested in trading for Frazier.  Probably not.  Frazier would be an upgrade over Schoop.

10 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I wonder if Detroit would be interested in trading for Frazier.  Probably not.  Frazier would be an upgrade over Schoop.

By the time trading season comes around I'm not sure Detroit will be interested in upgrades.

6 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I don't believe they care about bandaids anymore than Elias cared about Bemboom/Chirinos when he pre-judged 2022 a dump year.

DET's new GM put himself straight away into the OAK category, unloading Jimenez and Soto, resulting indirectly in Hinch having to pitch someone like Chasen Shreve long enough last night to jolt even listless looking Orioles Bats.

Elias could probably get Eduardo Rodriguez tonight if he really wanted to, except for that disqualifying multi-year potential commitment.

8 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Or perhaps overthrowing because he doesn’t have his usual velocity.  A lot of 97’s tonight.

That’s a good point. He basically topped out at 99. After throwing 31 pitches, I’d give him off the rest of the series. 

Hyde has to loosen up the reins on the bullpen. It can’t be Bautista/Cano/Baker every game. 

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

If there’s a save situation tonight I hope Felix gets some rest and Hyde let’s Cano close it out. 

I think there's a 0% chance that Felix pitches tonight.  After last night I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't come back for the rest of the series.

Once Tate and Givens are back that will help with the bullpen depth a lot.  Baumann has been a lifesaver so far.  Akin has looked pretty good again.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, waroriole said:

That’s a good point. He basically topped out at 99. After throwing 31 pitches, I’d give him off the rest of the series. 

Hyde has to loosen up the reins on the bullpen. It can’t be Bautista/Cano/Baker every game. 

Givens and Tate can’t get here quick enough. However, no guarantee they will be effective right off the bat.

If the Rays can option Taj Bradley in All-Star form after his first few games, who knows what could happen by tomorrow afternoon?

Cole Irvin could maybe handle Kansas City - at least on paper it wouldn't be the worst pick to spot him back in.

Grayson could stay with the taxi squad - he just has to wear Tides gear if he's sitting in the stands.

For self-preservation, Grayson might really want to strive for 6-7 innings tonight.