Oscar Salazar removed from 40 man roster

jeffstonefan

Oscar could get passed waivers and that will be the end of it. When will we know if that happens?

I liked Salazar as well but Andy has made it abundantly clear that if you can't play D then you are going to have trouble being on this team.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/w/wiggity01.shtml

Cursory glance of Wiggy's stats tell me that he can hit every bit as good as Salazar AND Wiggy can play D.

Now, Ty will cost more money but if Oscar's glove is in question this does fit with MacPhail's M.O.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oscar could get passed waivers and that will be the end of it. When will we know if that happens?

I liked Salazar as well but Andy has made it abundantly clear that if you can't play D then you are going to have trouble being on this team.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/w/wiggity01.shtml

Cursory glance of Wiggy's stats tell me that he can hit every bit as good as Salazar AND Wiggy can play D.

Now, Ty will cost more money but if Oscar's glove is in question this does fit with MacPhail's M.O.

Can he play D? Looks like he's a below-average defender at 1B, 2B, and 3B, particularly bad at third. And while his UZR is good in the outfield, it's in a very small sample.

His +/- data mirrors this. Poor in the infield, good in the outfield but in a very small number of innings.

The team has 10 days to trade, release or, if he clears waivers, assigned to the minor leagues. Waivers are a 48 hour process, so depending when the team ask for waivers on him, it could be up to 10 days.

Interesting that Salazar gets waived the day after he is announced to be going to the WBC. He was on the bubble and choose not to be with the team in March to fight for a spot. That might have shown MacPhail what Oscar thought was important.

Geez. You make MacPhail sound like a vindictive jerk.

I seriously doubt AM would hold it against Salazar for wanting to represent his country in the WBC. Should we also be expecting the releases of Guthrie, Roberts, Sherrill, and the other WBC participants on the O's?

Salazar's choice to play in the WBC is in no way disrespectful to the Orioles, nor does it mean that he doesn't care about winning a roster spot. His removal from the 40-man has nothing to do with the WBC.

That said, the move doesn't make sense to me, not when guys like Brian Burres and Alfredo Simon are still on the 40-man roster (what exactly has Burres done to deserve a spot?). Either MacPhail has something else up his sleeve like a signing of Wigginton, or he just plain muffed this transaction.

For once it would just be nice to see the O's have a real MLB-quality bench. Losing Salazar makes the chances of that happening in 2009 much less likely.

Really? Freel, Gomez, and Zaun is not a good MLB bench? I beg to differ. Unless you want all big boppers who can't play the field? So we pinch hit, tie the game or take the lead, and then give it right back because of our defense? Ugh....:confused:

Really? Freel, Gomez, and Zaun is not a good MLB bench? I beg to differ. Unless you want all big boppers who can't play the field? So we pinch hit, tie the game or take the lead, and then give it right back because of our defense? Ugh....:confused:

Well we should have one big bopper on there, don't you think?

Nobody on that bench had over a .700 OPS last season. Just look at the benches of the playoff teams and see what they had...

Defense isn't the only thing that wins ballgames.

Well we should have one big bopper on there, don't you think?

Nobody on that bench had over a .700 OPS last season. Just look at the benches of the playoff teams and see what they had...

Defense isn't the only thing that wins ballgames.

If only we hadn't "low-balled" Tex, we would have our first baseman, DH, bench, etc. Damn them Orioles! :rolleyes:

The angst over losing Salazar and the vitriol aimed at AM for losing him is premature. If he passes through waivers, we can keep him and the GM will have picked the right guy to displace from the roster. If this occurs, seems like the GM should be commended not roasted.

Beyond that, we're talking about a 31 year old guy who doesn't hit enough to play a corner and doesn't field enough to play a middle. His 81 at bats for the team last year are far too small a sample to get worked up about and winter league stats mean almost nothing.

I'd be happy if we can keep him and see what he can do in ST and if he performs and makes the team, it's a nice story. But all this fuss. Seriously?

I know many of you have been hitting the refresh button for the latest news on Salazar. Well, quit hitting the refresh button, because you will have to wait until Monday. The team asked for waivers on him today (Friday).

That sneaky MacPhail, waiting for the weekend to try and sneak him through... ;)

From Roch Kubatko

Teams have until Monday afternoon to claim infielder Oscar Salazar off waivers.

The 72-hour window for teams to claim Salazar didn't begin once he was designated. He's now on waivers, and that's why we're waiting until Monday afternoon.

I know many of you have been hitting the refresh button for the latest news on Salazar. Well, quit hitting the refresh button, because you will have to wait until Monday. The team asked for waivers on him today (Friday).

That sneaky MacPhail, waiting for the weekend to try and sneak him through... ;)

From Roch Kubatko

Pins and needles, Mark Carver. Pins and needles.

Keep the candles burning in the window.

(BTW - Oscar's winter season is over, as his team failed to advance to the finals. He finished at .309 with 4 homers & a league-leading 18 RBI in the semi-final tournament.

Cesar Izturis' club was also eliminated, but he stroked four hits in the final game to lead all players in the semi-finals with a .409 batting average. Not too shabby)

The angst over losing Salazar and the vitriol aimed at AM for losing him is premature. If he passes through waivers, we can keep him and the GM will have picked the right guy to displace from the roster. If this occurs, seems like the GM should be commended not roasted.

Beyond that, we're talking about a 31 year old guy who doesn't hit enough to play a corner and doesn't field enough to play a middle. His 81 at bats for the team last year are far too small a sample to get worked up about and winter league stats mean almost nothing.

I'd be happy if we can keep him and see what he can do in ST and if he performs and makes the team, it's a nice story. But all this fuss. Seriously?

Yeah, ok. People should actually wait until he's off the major-league roster before losing their heads over it. But I agree with JTrea here; the Orioles should have one bench player who is actually a threat with the lumber.

Another point that could be made is that Nolan Reimold will be taking over the RH OF/1B/DH platoon duties in 2010+... provided he's not trade bait, which is looking less likely these days... and Salazar will be off the major league roster anyway.

For once it would just be nice to see the O's have a real MLB-quality bench. Losing Salazar makes the chances of that happening in 2009 much less likely.

Using reverse logic, would you or any one else be excited by us signing a career minor leaguer (10 years) who has played for and been set free, by 7 organizations ( a few more than once), who is poor defensively and has had two stints in the majors about 6 years apart. If your answer is yes, then begin the celebration because if you go by career minor league numbers we have signed a slightly better LH version of Oscar.

Compare.

Craig Brazell ..... Oscar Salazar

28 years old .... 30 years old

10 years in minors .... 11 years in MILB

lifetime MILB ave. .284 .... lifetime MILB Ave. .283

MILB HR's.....162 .... MILB HR's.....116

MILB RBI....629 .... MILB RBI.......607

MILB OPS.....804 ... . MILB OPS.... .805

No one, rightfully so, posted gleefully, when we signed Brazell to a minor league contract, so why all the angst over removing Oscar from the 40. We could have released Burres or some one else, but we are going to keep pitching first.

Oscar is the type that gets invited to a training camp as a minor league invitee. that may still happen. I think he had 81 AB's last year, not exactly an overwhelming sample size.

I for one am excited for Norfolk's sake that McPhail signed Brazell. And who knows; Salazar may join him. With Reimold and Montanez and Wieters to start the season. And Patton & co. I'm still hoping Salazar makes the 25 as a right-handed bat in particular.

The more I think about it... maybe I'll take in a Tides game on my way to NC to see my folks this year. They could have a darn good season.

Using reverse logic, would you or any one else be excited by us signing a career minor leaguer (10 years) who has played for and been set free, by 7 organizations ( a few more than once), who is poor defensively and has had two stints in the majors about 6 years apart. If your answer is yes, then begin the celebration because if you go by career minor league numbers we have signed a slightly better LH version of Oscar.

Compare.

Craig Brazell ..... Oscar Salazar

28 years old .... 30 years old

10 years in minors .... 11 years in MILB

lifetime MILB ave. .284 .... lifetime MILB Ave. .283

MILB HR's.....162 .... MILB HR's.....116

MILB RBI....629 .... MILB RBI.......607

MILB OPS.....804 ... . MILB OPS.... .805

No one, rightfully so, posted gleefully, when we signed Brazell to a minor league contract, so why all the angst over removing Oscar from the 40. We could have released Burres or some one else, but we are going to keep pitching first.

Oscar is the type that gets invited to a training camp as a minor league invitee. that may still happen. I think he had 81 AB's last year, not exactly an overwhelming sample size.

I am in another country and was planning on just checking the OH to read up but not post, but this thread was one of the best I have seen on here in a while and this is why I love the Hangout!!

Archived