Oscar Salazar removed from 40 man roster

jeffstonefan

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think this move is a little strange on the surface. But I remember MacPhail saying they could always come back and deal with the 1b issue later. He doesn't think much of Huff at first defensively so I think this is a prelude to dealing Scott and getting a First Baseman. Then Huff moves to DH full time and can spell Mora occasionally and MacPhail improves the D at first. Just a feeling.

Oh please. There's no chance in heck another team would sign a 30 year old veteran minor league 1B/DH who plays average defense and only hits righties.

Wait, wait...you're judging his hitting prowess against lefties based on 38 at bats? :rofl:

And negating his utility in that he can DH, play 1B and 3B at the league minimum? Good grief.

Well, even if they carry 13 P's for part of the season, that doesn't mean they will do it for the whole season.

The only rationale for doing it is that they're not confident that they can get 6 IP (or close to it) out of 2 or 3 of the SP's.

If events show they can, then the 13th P goes away.

Agreed, but whether they do it for the entire season or not - if they start off with 13, there isn't a spot on the roster for Oscar without some other moves happening first.

In retrospect, this move actually makes a lot of sense. They have no space for him on the 25 man, so attempting to pass him back through waivers now is worth doing. If he doesn't get claimed, they have him stashed at AAA for when / if they need him down the road. If he does get claimed, better now than later.

I think AM knew that he'd have to expose Salazar to waivers at some point given the current roster situation, so that's why he was the guy instead of some pitcher.

Wait, wait...you're judging his hitting prowess against lefties based on 38 at bats? :rofl:

And negating his utility in that he can DH, play 1B and 3B at the league minimum? Good grief.

You're right. I'm wrong. The Orioles are cutting him because he's a versatile fielder and amazing hitter. I can't believe I missed that.

You're right. I'm wrong. The Orioles are cutting him because he's a versatile fielder and amazing hitter. I can't believe I missed that.

Way to continue to use hyperbole.

Fact of the matter is you're judging his hitting prowess against lefties prematurely. 38 at bats is laughable.

Long story short about Oscar Salazar:

30 years old, cheap, can hit, has decent patience, can take care of 1B and 3B adequately off the bench. What's not love about a guy like him off the bench? He's a younger Kevin Millar with less patience and costs significantly less.

Same goes for guys like Jon Knott and JR House...

Archived