Oscar Salazar removed from 40 man roster

jeffstonefan

I like Oscar Salazar as much as I like Scott Moore, but we had this same discussion last year when the Orioles gave up on Moore and moved in the 13th pitcher. I think that worked out pretty well, considering how much people talk about Scott Moore these days.

My problem with the Scott Moore fiasco is that Dave Trembley handled it terribly. Ideally I'd love to have had Scott Moore off the bench, but guess who came up later in the season?

Fact of the matter is you can't always compare Person A to Person B from the past and then claim victory. Hindsight is always 20/20.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting that Salazar gets waived the day after he is announced to be going to the WBC. He was on the bubble and choose not to be with the team in March to fight for a spot. That might have shown MacPhail what Oscar thought was important.

I was looking forward to seeing Oscar with the O's this year but things keep happening to prevent that. 13 pitchers. The acquisition of Pie. Freel coming over by trade. I guess it was not in the cards.

My guess is that we will see marginal pitchers like Simon and Burres waived between now and the start of the season. The Roberts trade could bring back three rostered players if it happens. Gomez and Moeller are on minor league contracts and need to be added to the 40 and 25 man rosters.

There are more changes coming. I doubt MacPhail is done.

On Salazar making it through waivers, Tony and I exchanged posts about it a few days ago. He thought Salazar would pass through waivers though I don't know if he expected the timing to be this early. This chances of get through would probably have been better on April 1st.

I looked up Salazar's 2008 splits:

-------AB H 2B 3B HR W IW HP K SH SF GDP AVG OBP SLG OPS BABIP GB% LD% FB% IF/F

vs. LH 151 65 19 3 4 15 0 0 20 0 3 4 .430 .473 .675 1.148 0.480 35.8% 26.1% 38.1% 3.5%

vs. RH 296 77 24 0 9 27 1 0 37 0 3 8 .260 .319 .432 0.751 0.272 45.8% 17.9% 35.9% 15.6%

He only hit lefties in 2008.

His '07 splits are flip-flopped:

-------AB H 2B 3B HR W IW HP K SH SF GDP AVG OBP SLG OPS BABIP GB% LD% FB% IF/F

vs. LH 128 31 5 0 6 9 3 1 15 0 0 5 .242 .297 .422 0.719 0.234 50.4% 10.6% 38.9% 26.8%

vs. RH 405 126 34 2 17 17 1 2 63 1 4 7 .311 .339 .531 0.870 0.335 39.5% 16.1% 44.1% 13.9%

I don't really know what to make of that.

But, I'm not going to lose sleep over Oscar Salazar passing through waivers and then resigned at Norfolk. Mr. Jackson says so.

So are we going to hear a Tejada thing soon, like he is really 37 or something. I understand this is probably insignificant for 2010-2011. But are we so sure that we aren't going to have injuries that somebody who can play 1st and 3rd and who has power is less valuable than Burress & Simon? I have to think somebody else is being added, or Oscar saw the writing on the wall and asked to be released. Personally I am a worst case senario type of person. I would keep him until last possible moment to make sure we avoid injuries then have released him. But that is me being selfish. How many 25th man on the rosters have we added and deleated this year. He could be a Jeff F. where we lose him for 6 months and then get him back later in the year. Just a thought.

So are we going to hear a Tejada thing soon, like he is really 37 or something. I understand this is probably insignificant for 2010-2011. But are we so sure that we aren't going to have injuries that somebody who can play 1st and 3rd and who has power is less valuable than Burress & Simon? I have to think somebody else is being added, or Oscar saw the writing on the wall and asked to be released. Personally I am a worst case senario type of person. I would keep him until last possible moment to make sure we avoid injuries then have released him. But that is me being selfish. How many 25th man on the rosters have we added and deleated this year. He could be a Jeff F. where we lose him for 6 months and then get him back later in the year. Just a thought.

I doubt he asked for his release. He is a career minor leaguer who, if sent to Norfolk would be a Huff/Mora/Roberts injury away from being recalled. I don't consider it likely that he thinks he will be put through waivers, and then claimed by a team that will keep him on the big league roster.

Another thought though, maybe MacPhail decided that they would have to do it at some point anyway as they were pretty sure he wouldn't make the team, so he figured it might be easier to slip him through waivers now rather than later......Also, just a thought.

I have to agree with Enjoy Terror and others, I don't see what's the big deal about this move.

He's a 30 year old career minor leaguer for goodness sake! Yeah, I would rid the team of Burres (and others) first, but I'd happily replace Salazar with Wiggington or Dunn.

I have to agree with Enjoy Terror and others, I don't see what's the big deal about this move.

He's a 30 year old career minor leaguer for goodness sake! Yeah, I would rid the team of Burres (and others) first, but I'd happily replace Salazar with Wiggington or Dunn.

Wigginton's still a possibility, but the O's aren't going to get Dunn. The sooner OH realizes this, the better it is for our sanity.

Way to continue to use hyperbole.

Fact of the matter is you're judging his hitting prowess against lefties prematurely. 38 at bats is laughable.

Long story short about Oscar Salazar:

30 years old, cheap, can hit, has decent patience, can take care of 1B and 3B adequately off the bench. What's not love about a guy like him off the bench? He's a younger Kevin Millar with less patience and costs significantly less.

Same goes for guys like Jon Knott and JR House...

....who also are pretty much AAAA cogs, easily replaceable at any point necessary.

I am still trying to wrap my head around this one. Obviously, a pitcher would have been the way to go. I disagree with Burres, and perhaps for a strange reason, b/c the guy has like an 1.11 ERA when pitching at Yankee Stadium. How can you at least not have some fondness for a guy who can accomplish that? If I had to pick one I think it would have to be Miller as I believe his injury is a rather serious one and for that reason he would clear waivers. IIRC he also had a penchant for allowing inherited runners to score.

Talk about over reaction to nothing...jeez. House, Knott, Salazar...so what? Some people have had it in for Andy Mac for a while now, but ever since the "one who shall never be named on this site again" didn't sign with us, people are just looking for any little move, or lack thereof to find fault with him. Because I'm sure you if you were the GM of a major league team EVERY move you would make would be absolutely 100% spot on. :rolleyes: Wake me up when you are a GM and you do a better job...better yet, wake me up when we aren't talking about AAAA talent being shaved from the roster. Ridiculous.

Clearly the O's see the Brazell acquisition as making Salazar redundant. We're jammed up with AAA power hitters (Moore, Constanza, Brazell) at the corner infield positions and for whatever reason AM feels Salazar has the least value to the club.

It's dissapointing not to get to see more of Salazar at the big league level, especially given his winter ball performance, but I think calling it "stupid" is over the top.

That's our boy JTrea.

I'm going to refer to him as "Sly" from now on.

Talk about over reaction to nothing...jeez. House, Knott, Salazar...so what? Some people have had it in for Andy Mac for a while now, but ever since the "one who shall never be named on this site again" didn't sign with us, people are just looking for any little move, or lack thereof to find fault with him. Because I'm sure you if you were the GM of a major league team EVERY move you would make would be absolutely 100% spot on. :rolleyes: Wake me up when you are a GM and you do a better job...better yet, wake me up when we aren't talking about AAAA talent being shaved from the roster. Ridiculous.

Just because people disagree with a move doesn't mean they hate MacPhail or want him fired or don't think he is doing a great job.

I happen to think MacPhail is a tremendous GM, who is doing a great job putting our franchise in a position to win.

However, I disagree with this call. Not that I think Salazar is anything too special, just that we had some pitchers that should have been cut before him IMO.

I think MacPhail is doing a great job. Does that mean I have to agree 100% with every move he makes? Of course not.

Archived