50 minutes ago, Frobby said:

As of this morning, the AL East is 63-27 against the rest of MLB:

TBR 16-3

BAL 13-3

TOR 12-7

NYY 12-8

BOS 10-6

That’s .700 ball on average.  Insane. 

We have the best April record in the history of the damn franchise and somehow that's still not enough to not only lead the division but even just create some space between us and the 3rd place team.

Throw us a freaking bone here! How is basically the entire division having a historic start at the same time? Ugh

59 minutes ago, Frobby said:

TBR 16-3

BAL 13-3

TOR 12-7

NYY 12-8

BOS 10-6

Even if you delete Tampa Bay, the AL East is only one win shy of .667 vs. the rest of the league (47-24)!

Edited by LA2

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

TBR 16-3

BAL 13-3

TOR 12-7

NYY 12-8

BOS 10-6

Overall it seems to be an odd year. Not saying the AL East being good is odd

I don’t know to specifically measure it but I don’t recall this much separation record wise from the top to bottom teams this early on in the season. I’m not saying I thought KC or COL were going to be good but they are awful. You have TB really hot start. Pittsburgh 10 games over .500. CWS who I thought could contend for a playoff spot being 12 games under .500 already looks like one less possible playoff contender for the Orioles. 

The balanced schedule is going to have a very interesting impact on this dynamic. My gut tells me that these early leads are going to matter just that much more because the divisions wont be facing themselves through the final six weeks like they used to. 

Hell, the last game the Orioles play against the Yankees is in July. 

Given that, the Rays, Orioles, Pirates getting out to these hot early leads, stacking up wins and putting distance between themselves and division rivals will make it just that much harder for them to be caught. due to a lack of head-to-head matchups. 

1 hour ago, interloper said:

We have the best April record in the history of the damn franchise and somehow that's still not enough to not only lead the division but even just create some space between us and the 3rd place team.

Throw us a freaking bone here! How is basically the entire division having a historic start at the same time? Ugh

I’m not worried about it at all.  When it comes to the wild card, divisions won’t matter.  We could finish 4th in the AL East and still make the playoffs.  And it’s pretty realistic to think that all the wild card teams might come from the East, with the more balanced schedule.

Plus, it’s a long season.  We and other teams, including Tampa Bay, will have hot and cold spells.  The standings on April 28 just aren’t that important.  What’s important is piling up as many wins as we can so that when the cold spells come we are still in the race.  

• Upvote 1

Thoughts on the AL East - 

TB looks legit.  Regardless of strength of schedule.  It's their division to lose.

BAL-TOR-NYY is a grab bag.  I like our offense (when chugging) against any of these.  But the rotation...  

And then there's Boston...

AL Central - MIN and CLE look like the top tier all around.  CHW can't get out of their own way.  DET-KC aren't contenders.

AL West - HOU has the highest floor.  TEX has the highest ceiling and/but deGrom...  LAA will probably fade unless Rendon can hit something other than fans.  SEA should contend.  OAK has already allowed 212 runs with a -113 run differential...  

A 4th place ALE finish could do it.  But it would be great to be top 3.  

Next weekend will start a grind - ATL, TB, PIT, LAA, TOR, NYY, TEX, CLE for May.  

Obviously it's clear we have a solid team. I think it's kind of always on a razor's edge though due to the youth in the starting rotation. At least for me, I have almost no idea what to expect on any given Kremer, Bradish, or Grayson start. Plenty of talent in all three, of course, and you hope they even out and get on a roll of consistency more akin to Wells. 

Edited by interloper

3 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

After last night the Tigers are 1-12 against the AL East and 8-3 against everyone else. Poor guys have already had 5 series vs the AL East and only 1 vs their own wimpy division.

That's brutal, jeez. If I was a Tigers fan that would really piss me off actually. 

13 minutes ago, interloper said:

That's brutal, jeez. If I was a Tigers fan that would really piss me off actually. 

If I were a Tigers fan, I would realize my team can’t compete against the best teams and the schedule is going to get easier from here on. 

22 minutes ago, interloper said:

Their offense also stinks. Lowest runs scored in MLB. Schoop has no RBI's. But the White Sox have collapsed.The Blue Jays beat them up and the Rays crushed them yesterday.

Edited by Going Underground