Shohei's 2023 LA Angels

Just Regular

It's good to see Mickey Moniak having a good season after so much struggle. I felt for the kid, it wasn't his choice to be drafter #1 overall, but it seemed the Philly media really thrashed him after he didn't instantly perform. I doubt he keeps anything close to his pace, but I hope he feels somewhat vindicated.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Shohei pitches for his Angels tonight at 930 on MLB Network as we start to get to see what if anything happens if their cold close to the first half continues 3 more weeks.

He left his last start a bit early due to some sort of fingernail thing, and then declined to pitch in the ASG even though he had sufficient rest.   Assuming he is 100% by now though.

For some reason down 7-4 in the bottom of the 6th, Phil Nevin had Michael Stefanic attempt a sacrifice bunt with men on 1st and 2nd, no one out.     Hunter Renfroe was the guy on 2nd.

Stefanic hover pops it about 8 feet in the air right over the catcher's box...Martin Maldonado stands up, catches it, and then doubles Hunter Renfroe off when he'd strayed too far from the bag.

• 2 weeks later...

So they changed the rules of baseball just for Ohtani, by saying that a pitcher could start at pitcher AND DH and stay in the game as DH even after being removed as a pitcher.   Kind of unprecedented, but I get why they did it.   People love to watch Ohtani.   Still it kind of goes against the spirit of the rules if you ask me.

But last night, he had to leave the game as a pitcher because of a sore finger preventing him from being able to pitch, and stayed in the game at DH and later homered.   To me that's taking it a bit too far.    If you are forced to leave the game as a pitcher due to injury, I really don't think you should be allowed to stay in as DH.     If the Mariners had lost the game because of that HR, I think they would have had a right to be upset.   Fortunately they won.

Shohei Ohtani is exhausted.

Twice during the Angels’ recent nine-game trip, Ohtani had to be replaced by a pinch hitter because of lower-body cramps. During his team’s return to Anaheim, he pitched only four innings because of another muscular contraction, this one on the middle finger of his pitching hand. Asked why he was cramping so often, the soft-spoken Ohtani was concise and to the point.

“Fatigue is No. 1, I think,” he said in Japanese.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/angels/story/2023-08-04/angels-shohei-ohtani-exhaustion-playoffs