Cionel Perez

BRobinsonfan

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Starting to wonder if last year was a one-year-wonder type of performance from him.  Certainly wasn't that good before he got here and he hasn't been good this year. 2022 is starting to look like an outlier for him. 

I don't know how many more chances he's going to get as Tate and Givens are getting closer to coming back but he's not inspiring confidence right now.  I'm sure Holt and the rest are doing what they can to try to get him back to last year's levels but it's not always easy.

Pretty sure someone posted on here  a few times about how some of his 2022 #s pointed to luck and that he was a prime candidate to regress.  

I thought he made some decent pitches last night but because he was behind in the count.  The first issue has been inability to get ahead in the count which it makes harder to get chases.  The second issue I am noticing as guys seem to be seeing ball better and not chasing even if he is ahead which tells me that he might be tipping his pitches somehow.  He made a few pitches down in the zone that were very competitive but the hitter took for balls pretty easily.  

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

I wonder if a trade is a possibility. To a rebuilding team looking to give opportunities to big arms. But putting him on the block probably indicates to everyone that he's waiver-bound, so it would take someone who really wants him. 

He's got a couple more weeks I think. There's no telling how the Tate and Givens rehabs will go. 

I would have been interested in trading him for a Jorge Lopez type of package in the offseason. I was definitely expecting regression but not this much. I haven't watched him much this year. I didn't notice anything in particular being off, his velocity and stuff looked good. Got two strikes on Vierling, then a HBP, some bad luck there. Gets the K on Schoop (thank you, Schoop). Then back to back walks after working 3-2 on McKinstry and Greene. Stuff looked fine, wasn't missing by much, actually got ahead most of the time, but still added up to an ugly performance.

5 hours ago, emmett16 said:

Pretty sure someone posted on here  a few times about how some of his 2022 #s pointed to luck and that he was a prime candidate to regress.  

Yes, but he was very good last year regardless of luck. His wOBA against  was .237, xwWOBA was .296, which is not as good but still very good.  This year, his xwOBA is .372, which is awful, and his actual wOBA against is .443, which is even more awful.  So, regression was expected, but nothing like this.  

Watching him, I think his problems are part physical, part mental.  Perez wears his emotions on his sleeve, and you can see that he has no confidence whatsoever right now.  One little thing goes wrong and he just spirals.  Last year he was ultra-confident, even when he got in a little trouble.  I honestly feel like if Perez can put together one solid outing, he might just get things turned around.   But right now he’s a snowball rolling downhill.  

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

So, everyone wants to praise the Os when they develop a guy out of nowhere.  Do they then get bashed when they can’t sustain it?

Probably only if they haven’t developed somebody else to take his place.  In other words, while the bullpen is 3rd in ERA and Cano has fulfilled the Perez role, nobody’s going to bash them on Perez.  We’ll see what happens if the bullpen falters (which hopefully it won’t).

23 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I thought Cionel had the best stuff I’ve seen from him this season tonight.  Good ride on the fastball and break on the slider.  Hopefully this marked the start of a turnaround for him. 

I dont think he's long for the roster when Givens returns...maybe Voth goes... 

9 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

I dont think he's long for the roster when Givens returns...maybe Voth goes... 

I’m guessing Akin.  He’s been ineffective lately, and he has an option.  Perez and Voth don’t.  

• 2 weeks later...