Cionel Perez

BRobinsonfan

I’m extremely encouraged.  The one thing our pen has been missing is a dominant lefty (with apologies to Danny Coulombe, who has done a nice job).   If Perez can get back to what he was doing last year, a Bautista/Cano/Perez back end could be really effective and give everyone a blow when needed.

On the other hand, Tate has not look led himself at all during his rehab and I’ve got a feeling we won’t see him this year.  

• Thanks 1

2 good innings doesn’t constitute Cionel is back to last year’s form. He used his off speed pitches a good amount tonight (keeping it down) and that helped him with his 4 seam. Hopefully all the off days has helped him with his confidence. Coulombe has been a pleasant surprise but the back end could really use an effective Cionel. 

13 minutes ago, Os4days said:

2 good innings doesn’t constitute Cionel is back to last year’s form. He used his off speed pitches a good amount tonight (keeping it down) and that helped him with his 4 seam. Hopefully all the off days has helped him with his confidence. Coulombe has been a pleasant surprise but the back end could really use an effective Cionel. 

He’s had a few good games lately and I’m not just talking about results, but how his stuff has looked.  He looked really good in his May 6 and 14 outings.  He did allow the ghost runner to score in the May 7 extra inning game, which I didn’t get to watch.   He looked very good tonight.   Made Ohtani look foolish.  

38 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Made Ohtani look foolish.  

Went back ad looked at the Ohtani AB and I’m not sure I would call it foolish. He threw an inside fastball and then what looked like a slider on the outside that Shohei hit a weak grounder to second. It was a good out. 

His first inning of work tonight, he had a couple balls that were hit hard but luckily right at someone. Angels kind of bailed him out as they swung at early pitches. Noticed Cionel seemed to land off the rubber much more to the right side. Almost to the point that he just did a 180 to get back on the mound. Maybe just me but it appeared that way. 

6 hours ago, Os4days said:

He's had 4 straight appearances with no ER, giving up only 1 hit in 4.2 innings. He had improved before last night.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Frobby said:

I’m extremely encouraged.  The one thing our pen has been missing is a dominant lefty (with apologies to Danny Coulombe, who has done a nice job).   If Perez can get back to what he was doing last year, a Bautista/Cano/Perez back end could be really effective and give everyone a blow when needed.

On the other hand, Tate has not look led himself at all during his rehab and I’ve got a feeling we won’t see him this year.  

I don’t think any apology is owed to Coulombe. He’s been respectable but I’d say he’s expendable. In a situation where we need a LH pitcher, I think Cionel would be my first call at this point. 

Unfortunately, I agree about Tate. Without seeing him, and just based on his results, it seems like he’s not right. I’m afraid TJ might be on the table for him. 

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

I don't know if I would call that balance!

OK call it a teeter totter or a see saw or better yet, a pendulum (this is B'More after all), then we can put the offender in the Pit but just until the blade grazes the City uniform enough that it can be destroyed.

4 hours ago, foxfield said:

I always appreciate the balance here in the OH.  Like last week we loved Cionel and this week we want him waived again.  

4 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

I don't know if I would call that balance!

Exactly