Cionel Perez

BRobinsonfan

Prior to his last 2 games, he had given up 3 runs in his last 16 appearances.  His ERA was down to 3.26.

The hits haven’t been high but the BB have been.

The Ks are way down and BBs are way up from last year.

Oddly, despite the BBs being up, his str% is basically identical to last year and it’s above league average.

The big difference is in missed bats. Last year, his swingstr% was over 20%. This year it’s under 13%.

So, he’s not missing bats, he’s not getting Ks and despite throwing the same amount of strikes, he is walking way more.

His P/PA are also way down. That’s usually a good thing but obviously they are attacking him earlier in the count.

Barrel% is about the same but the exit velo off of him is way up. Hard hit% is also way up.

Edited by Sports Guy

25 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Prior to his last 2 games, he had given up 3 runs in his last 16 appearances.  His ERA was down to 3.26.

Oddly, despite the BBs being up, his str% is basically identical to last year and it’s above league average.

The big difference is in missed bats. Last year, his swingstr% was over 20%. This year it’s under 13%.

So, he’s not missing bats, he’s not getting Ks and despite throwing the same amount of strikes, he is walking way more.

His P/PA are also way down. That’s usually a good thing but obviously they are attacking him earlier in the count.

Barrel% is about the same but the exit velo off of him is way up. Hard hit% is also way up.

Last time I saw him pitch the velo was OK. I wonder if he could be tipping and certain teams are ambushing him? 

One thing I’ve noticed is that hitters aren’t swinging at his pitches that are just above the zone.  Last year opposing hitters had a 31.6% O-swing%, this year it’s 26.4%.   And when they do swing at pitches outside the zone, they’re making contact 65.2% of the time, compared to 57.6% last year.  So part of this may be a matter of the league getting wise to how Perez tries to get them out with pitches above the zone, and just making a concerted effort to lay off those pitches.  

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Stats wise it seems like he was on a roll, but I remember a couple of times where Cano came on and stranded his runners. 

Perez isn’t handling business versus LHB.  .811 OPS and 7K/6BB.  The walks to lefties have to stop ASAP.  1.000+ OPS vs RHB, btw. 

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

One thing I’ve noticed is that hitters aren’t swinging at his pitches that are just above the zone.  Last year opposing hitters had a 31.6% O-swing%, this year it’s 26.4%.   And when they do swing at pitches outside the zone, they’re making contact 65.2% of the time, compared to 57.6% last year.  So part of this may be a matter of the league getting wise to how Perez tries to get them out with pitches above the zone, and just making a concerted effort to lay off those pitches.  

Yea but tons of pitchers get guys out this way.  I don’t think this is it. I think the quality of his pitches are just worse.

Of course, this is why it’s hard to rely on players like this too. They go from being a dime a dozen guy to really good. It can happen for a year but to repeat it is tough. 

While guys slip through the cracks, teams don’t give up lefty arms like this unless there is a reason.

14 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea but tons of pitchers get guys out this way.  I don’t think this is it. I think the quality of his pitches are just worse.

Of course, this is why it’s hard to rely on players like this too. They go from being a dime a dozen guy to really good. It can happen for a year but to repeat it is tough. 

While guys slip through the cracks, teams don’t give up lefty arms like this unless there is a reason.

Is wanting to win games a good enough reason?

• 1 month later...