Orioles offer BRob 3yr 30 million

33rdst

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Given the current economic climate, 3/30 is a good and fair offer IMO. If he thinks he can do better next year, then more power to him and I'll still root for him on whatever team he ends up on.

We better get good value for him before he moves on though. Picks aren't good enough.

This isnt that hard O's! I have been saying this since day one. Pay the man, and pay him right. The only way I see him signing here is if AM offers 4/48-52. We need Roberts.

That is a horrible deal.

Look at the market and the contracts that our being offered, why would we overpay on years and money to keep a 31 yr old second baseman?

Trade him or take the picks, and use that money down the road.

This isnt that hard O's! I have been saying this since day one. Pay the man, and pay him right. The only way I see him signing here is if AM offers 4/48-52. We need Roberts.

It depends on what we could get for him. 3 on top of this year at 10 or 12 is about right, so I agree. But if we can replenish with a good trade, you have to do it.

But generally, I'm with you Peace. He will be very good for the next five years. At a premium place in a lineup.

Don't you get it yet, Peace? If you're on the correct side of 30 and went to high school nearby, then a fifth of a billion is a modest price to pay. We should be "all in" -- as some would say. But if commit the dastardly sin of breaching that "no 30s allowed" dictum, you better watch your back, because half the crowd will want you shipped out today, while the more generous half will flat-out refuse to consider paying you more than 15% of what they wanted to throw Tex's way.

I'm with you on this one. Pay the man, and pay him right.

I'm uncomfortable with 3/30 already if the new contract starts after 2009...that's pretty much just bad value right now. I don't think I'd go any higher.

I don't think the 'we were gonna pay Tex 200M so 50M is pocket change' argument is any good. I mean, by that logic, signing Millar to a 4/50M extension is justifiable. Roberts's age and production does not justify 4/48 or 4/52.

We will get nothing at the deadline - we haveto move him now if he is not going to sign.

Do you see B-rob totally falling off the face of the earth as to your reasoning of getting nothing for him at the deadline? Atlanta didnt do to bad with Tex. Beats getting draft picks.

Heh...I just imagined what the board will be like when the O's and the Yankees are the final teams for Roberts in the 2009 offseason and previously reasonable posters are demanding a bid of 5/85 and jumping off bridges when he doesn't sign.

Maybe it's best to just pay him now for mental health reasons.

3/30 is pretty reasonable in this market.

If Roberts doesn't want it, package him and Scott to Atlanta...

I agree. I'd be willing to go up to $11 M per year, and that's about all.

If not, expect a trade at the deadline, when GM's are becoming restless and impatient for a playoff berth.

Archived