TT: It's time to bring up Colton Cowser

Tony-OH

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Super 2 won’t be mid June. It will be before then although there is no exact date.

Ok thanks. At this point, it’s looking like that is what is holding back Cowser and Westburg from getting even a few game audition. Well that and 40 man spots, but we’re at 39 now and could drop some pitching depth to get two spots. 

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Super 2 won’t be mid June. It will be before then although there is no exact date.

Depends what you mean by mid June.  Josh Hader debuted on June 10 and still qualified as a Super 2.   That was an unusually late date, but if you are trying to be sure your player won’t be a Super 2, you probably need to assume it could be that late.  Personally, I’m not a fan of planning around Super 2 concerns, and I don’t think it happens very often.  

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Depends what you mean by mid June.  Josh Hader debuted on June 10 and still qualified as a Super 2.   That was an unusually late date, but if you are trying to be sure your player won’t be a Super 2, you probably need to assume it could be that late.  Personally, I’m not a fan of planning around Super 2 concerns, and I don’t think it happens very often.  

Usually mid means middle of the month.  :D

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Usually mid means middle of the month.  :D

I’d say early June is 1-10, mid-June is 11-20, late June is 21-30.   So the call-up would need to be mid-June to avoid the “Hader date.”  😉

Back in 2019, I looked at all the debuts throughout MLB for the 2010-19 period and found this:

May 1-15: 1.00 debuts per day.

May 16-31: 1.19 debuts per day.

June 1-15: 1.14 debuts per day.

June 16-30: 1.32 debuts per day.

July: 1.07 debuts per day.

August: 1.18 debuts per day.

• Upvote 2

I really want to see some guys brought up from AAA, but there is always the risk that there will be an adjustment period. Adley took a while. Gunnar is not there yet. Stowers looks really bad, but he really has not been given a full time look like Adley and Gunnar. Will he ever get it? Will it just take longer in a part time role? How long will it take Cowser or any of the others?

Dump Frazier, make Westburg starting 2B, now so that any growing pains are completed by the All Star Break and the O's can actually play their best players down the stretch

Urius should be backup 2B/3B to ease the stress on Gunnar and Jordan.

How is it everyone but Elias saw that Frazier was a mistake?

• Upvote 1

There will most probably some sort of “adjustment/acclimation period” for Cowser and whoever else (Westburg etc) that we decide to bring to the show. But it may be best to attempt to “get it out of the way” before the stretch run, when you want to have your team as optimized as possible.

I’m not sure what the plan is with Stowers other than attempting to showcase to include him in a potential deadline trade? Other than that he’s just in the way, taking up space and clogging up Cowser’s eventual spot. 

Cowser is the much higher rated/more talented prospect of the two. And realistically there is only one spot in the outfield/DH role open. 

They should not consider displacing Santander during the season where he is one of your few middle viable middle of the order bats. During the off-season is a different story, where you can transition Kjerstad into that spot for next year and hopefully by that time Gunnar is acclimated and able to provide a real middle of the order presence.

9 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

I never think it's worth the risk of rushing a player. I'd wait until July or August. We are a pretty good team without him.

Why do you think it's "rushing" him?  He was an advanced college hitter, drafted 5th overall, and is absolutely dominating AAA.  

11 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

I never think it's worth the risk of rushing a player. I'd wait until July or August. We are a pretty good team without him.

There's no rushing anything with Cowser and Westburg. Cowser is 23 and Westburg is 24. They're ready.

We could and should be better with both players on the roster. The team has played well, but the offense hasn't been very good over the past couple weeks. Elias should constantly be trying to improve the team at all times, and bringing up Cowser and Westburg will make the team better.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

Its all just tradeoffs - everything is a risk.    Its a risk not to prepare Cowser, Westburg and Kjerstad for championship caliber competition, and to stick with Stowers, Vavra and O'Hearn currently on the roster.