They all break (2023 edition)

Frobby

Taijuan Walker five starts into his 4/72 PHI contract upgrading the Kyle Gibson role left his game tonight with forearm tightness.

We'll see how things unfold the rest of the decade but one of the things I believe is a tenet of Decision Sciences is you just don't pay long for any Arm.

Maybe 2 years if you rent a Hall of Famer and he wins you a World Series.

• Upvote 2

Something I've been wondering whether to say aloud has now crossed a tipping point last 24 hours with Urquidy to IL, and now Luis Garcia leaving in the 1st inning shaking his Arm.     I think the Astros might be in a similar 81-89 kind of tier we are probably in.

Jim Crane has certainly gone Peter Angelos-Bobby Bonilla kicking GM's to the curb and signing middle relievers to long-term deals.

I was wrong in my guess after trash can gate all the good Astros would disperse, but Verlander atop Correa is kind of a double down exodus of 6-win types.

They may need to stress their McCullers a little bit now.

On 4/26/2023 at 5:32 PM, Just Regular said:

Taijuan Walker five starts into his 4/72 PHI contract upgrading the Kyle Gibson role left his game tonight with forearm tightness.

We'll see how things unfold the rest of the decade but one of the things I believe is a tenet of Decision Sciences is you just don't pay long for any Arm.

Maybe 2 years if you rent a Hall of Famer and he wins you a World Series.

The longer I watch baseball, the more this seems to ring true. Stud vet on a short-term deal, yes. Kevin Brown 7/105, Hampton 8/128, Zito 7/126, Rodon 6/162,  etc. etc., NO. 

8 hours ago, Ridgway22 said:

The longer I watch baseball, the more this seems to ring true. Stud vet on a short-term deal, yes. Kevin Brown 7/105, Hampton 8/128, Zito 7/126, Rodon 6/162,  etc. etc., NO. 

Yep.  And yet we’ll be talking about that FA SP next year.

Signing 1 year Lyles/Gibson types each year to fill out a spot (or two?) middle/back of the rotation each year seems like it’s a plausible strategy.

Rasmussen added to the 60 day IL today for the Rays. Flexor strain.  Their pitching injuries are starting to mount. Seems they never run out of guys but that’s certainly being tested. 

can’t be good that they threw him immediately to the 60 day. Just pitched 7 shutout innings last night. 

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
19 hours ago, bpilktree said:

I wonder if Alex Monah won’t be on this list some point this year.  He has completely fell off the cliff and couldn’t even get out of 1st.  The fastball is down over 1 mph and command has not been good.  

They sent him down to the Dunedin to work on some things.

For the record I don't think he's injured, I think he showed up for camp out of shape and has been dealing with the consequences.

Edited by Can_of_corn