Dave McNally

Dennis Gaub

Hello,

Greetings from Billings, Montana, hometown of Dave McNally. Briefly, I'm a book author (born and raised in Montana and a sportswriter once upon a time) now working on a book about Dave, with emphasis on his role in the groundbreaking 1975 Seitz labor decision. And how his basic integrity and character led him to agree to have his name added to Andy Mesersmith's on the arbitration case. With, of course, a nod to Curt Flood for taking the reserve clause all the way to the Supreme Court in 1970. If anyone has any Dave McNally stories to share, I'd love to hear from you. Thanks-Dennis Gaub

• Upvote 1

Just this weird thing which you probably already know.  McNally was involved in one of the best Oriole trades ever.  McNally, Rich Coggins, Bill Kirkpatrick for Ken Singleton and Mike Torres.

McNally had to check into the hospital that off-season for a case of the hiccups that wouldn’t stop.   I believe he was in the hospital for a week and said he had them for 3 weeks.

Dave McNally had the best ERA of any of the Oriole starting pitchers who were healthy when the 1966 World Series came around.  That prompted Manager Hank Bauer to name McNally as the starter for Game 1 of the World Series.

As I recall, the governor of Montana proclaimed the day of Game 1 as Dave McNally Day in the state.  Unfortunately, that seemed to create some extra pressure on McNally, who had a rough go of it in that game, walking five and giving up two hits in 2 1/3 innings.  He was charged with two runs and was probably lucky it wasn't more, but Moe Drabowsky shut the Dodgers down from that point.  The Orioles won that game, then Jim Palmer and Wally Bunker pitched shutouts in Games 2 and 3.

McNally came back to start Game 4 and finished the Series by recording another shutout.  The Orioles set a World Series record which still stands, by shutting out the Dodgers in 33 consecutive innings.

I remember that after Game 4, McNally expressed relief, saying "They  told me I'd be the goat of the Series if I gave one run."  (This was back in the days when "goat" had a very negative connotation in sports, rather than being an acronym for "Greatest Of All Time," which is what it has now come to mean.)

• 2 weeks later...