Orioles acquire catcher, DFA Krehbiel

Legend_Of_Joey

6 minutes ago, Pickles said:

It's not about Coulombe anymore than it is about DeJong.  It's about you passing your opinions off as facts and calling anyone who disagrees, including the decision-makers, stupid.

Instead of calling everything you don't like stupid, try and take a moment and see it through the perspective of the people making the decisions.  If you did that you would see that so many things you think are stupid or indefensible, actually have strong logical arguments for them.

This move isn't about this catcher.  It isn't even about the 26th man on the roster.  It's about getting Adley's bat in the lineup as much as possible.  

I didn’t call Elias dumb for selecting Coloumbe. I asked why because he hasn’t been good.  That’s accurate. 

Now, you can argue that defining dime a dozen guys as “not good” isn’t fair. That’s fine but he hasn’t been that good in his career. He has had moments but he hasn’t made much of a ML impact for 6 years and his MiL track record since then isn’t anything special either.

So yea, I’m fine with characterizing him as that. It’s great that he’s pitching so well. Glad he’s here. If he’s DFA’d in 2 months, no one should be surprised. Just as we shouldn’t be surprised Cionel Perez isn’t that good this year.  

But you can continue to obsess over the way I post. Maybe some day you will have actual opinions about players and not just bow down to whatever Elias does and says.

8 minutes ago, Pickles said:

"Good" is irrelevant.

The move isn't to be judged by how "good" this guy is in a vacuum.  

It's about what it allows them to do.  And what it allows them to do is to get Adley in the lineup as much as possible.

You can still get Adley’s bat in the lineup without the third catcher. They have literally done it all year long.

11 minutes ago, Pickles said:

It's about what it allows them to do.  And what it allows them to do is to get Adley in the lineup as much as possible.

Adley has been in the lineup every day while we've mostly just carried two catchers.  It's more about having the flexibility to put Adley AND McCann in the lineup and then being able to sub more freely throughout the game.  Hyde likes to pinch run and hit for McCann.  I'm not offering an opinion on whether that's good, I'm just saying we do it.

Edited by Ripken
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Sports Guy said:

You can still get Adley’s bat in the lineup without the third catcher. They have literally done it all year long.

And they've been catching Adley way more than they want to.  This solves that problem.

In fact, wasn't this a problem you were just pointing out a couple of days ago?

Just now, Ripken said:

Adley has been in the lineup every day while we've mostly just carried two catchers.  It's more about having the flexibility to put Adley AND McCann in the lineup and then being able to sub more freely throughout the game.  Hyde likes to pinch run and hit for McCann.

Well, yes that's part of it.  It's getting Adley's bat in the lineup AND not catching him as much, which is kind of the same thing.

I actually don’t mind the Torrens acquisition. I would much rather have him than the other 2 vet guys in AAA. He just turned 27 and while his career hasn’t been good, he did have some good offensive numbers for Seattle a while back.

I just hate the 3 catchers nonsense and would rather see them go with better players. 

3 minutes ago, Pickles said:

And they've been catching Adley way more than they want to.  This solves that problem.

In fact, wasn't this a problem you were just pointing out a couple of days ago?

I want Adley to have actual days off. I never said anything else more than that.

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I didn’t call Elias dumb for selecting Coloumbe. I asked why because he hasn’t been good.  That’s accurate. 

Now, you can argue that defining dime a dozen guys as “not good” isn’t fair. That’s fine but he hasn’t been that good in his career. He has had moments but he hasn’t made much of a ML impact for 6 years and his MiL track record since then isn’t anything special either.

So yea, I’m fine with characterizing him as that. It’s great that he’s pitching so well. Glad he’s here. If he’s DFA’d in 2 months, no one should be surprised. Just as we shouldn’t be surprised Cionel Perez isn’t that good this year.  

But you can continue to obsess over the way I post. Maybe some day you will have actual opinions about players and not just bow down to whatever Elias does and says.

Not knee-jerk calling everything I don't like "stupid" is not "bowing down" to Elias or whatever other hyperbole you want to engage.

I've question plenty of Elias' moves, including the Frazier signing, which virtually nobody liked.

There's a lot of room between calling everything I don't like stupid and being a synchophant.  

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Ripken said:

Adley has been in the lineup every day while we've mostly just carried two catchers.  It's more about having the flexibility to put Adley AND McCann in the lineup and then being able to sub more freely throughout the game.  Hyde likes to pinch run and hit for McCann.  I'm not offering an opinion on whether that's good, I'm just saying we do it.

This is correct…and that is also annoying. I get that McCann has had a h couple of good games vs lefties but the idea that we are doing things to make sure his bat can be in the lineup, while they continue to bench a guy like Stowers vs lefties, is infuriating.

Just now, Sports Guy said:

I want Adley to have actual days off. I never said anything else more than that.

Well, this allows him more days at DH, where he doesn't have to come in the 7th and catch half a game.  This is about preserving Adley.

2 minutes ago, Pickles said:

He's their best hitter.

Who also plays the most demanding position in the sport. He needs actual days off so you don’t run him into the ground by August.

I guess you agreed with Wildcard that he should play 162 games?

And if this lineup is so fragile that taking one bat out of it wrecks everything, perhaps this team isn’t put together as well as you think it is?

Edited by Sports Guy

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Who also plays the most demanding position in the sport. He needs actual days off so you don’t run him into the ground by August.

I guess you agreed with Wildcard that he should play 162 games?

And if this lineup is so fragile that taking one bat out of it wrecks everything, perhaps this team isn’t put together as well as you think it is?

They're structuring their roster to maximize it's talent.  Their best hitter is a catcher.  That is a unique situation which calls for a unique solution.  Three catchers is unusual for a reason.  But it makes sense in this situation.

I want Adley to catch no more than 120 games, but I want his bat in the lineup close to 150+ games.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1