UMD DUKE Thread

Floater

The friends of Gary will say that Gary should absolutely never get fired b/c he brought the program back from the dead. They'll then point to things turning around because next year the Terps have a couple of recruits coming in that are outside the Top 100 best HS players in the country. They've been saying this every year for the past few years.

Then, all of the sudden one player doesn't qualify or get admitted and the other two turn out to be "projects" who simply need to learn "Gary-ball" and need a few years to develop.

It's the same thing every year. Mediocrity. The Terps are in the most fertile recruiting grounds yet they get players who would have more worthwhile careers at Mt St Mary's or George Mason.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Part of me is thankful I had to work and miss this game.

Part of me wishes the opposite, so I could see for myself how in the hell we could get almost doubled-up by Duke.

I have nothing else to say.

To sum it up.

1..Duke as usual lights out from the field and esp from 3.

2. As usual, this year, Maryland could not defend the post or rebound. At one point the REB edge was 42 to 17. When you can not defend the post or rebound the result is defenders scramble and what happens is....see #1.

3. Duke employed a tenacious half court trap and Maryland could not get in an offensive flow even when they did not turn the ball over, whicj happened often.

4. Other than Milbourne and to lesser degrees Bowie and Mosley the Maryland players played scared.

5. Vasquez ran his mouth before the game and did nothing during.

To sum it up.

1..Duke as usual lights out from the field and esp from 3.

2. As usual, this year, Maryland could not defend the post or rebound. At one point the REB edge was 42 to 17. When you can not defend the post or rebound the result is defenders scramble and what happens is....see #1.

3. Duke employed a tenacious half court trap and Maryland could not get in an offensive flow even when they did not turn the ball over, whicj happened often.

4. Other than Milbourne and to lesser degrees Bowie and Mosley the Maryland players played scared.

5. Vasquez ran his mouth before the game and did nothing during.

Oh, I knew most of it already. To get something this bad, Duke had to be lights-out, and Maryland couldn't ever have turned the lights on.

And Vasquez lost any rights to talk, for sure.

There is likely almost-nothing positive to take from today.

:D:D:D:clap3::clap3::clap3::D

Unfortunately, I was so busy working today that I didn't get to see any of this wonderful game.

Duke's defense is ridiculously good and I think some of you are forgetting that.

Talent wise, its not close either but obviously, this was just one of those games that gets away from you...At MD, it will be a game IMO.

Unfortunately, I was so busy working today that I didn't get to see any of this wonderful game.

Duke's defense is ridiculously good and I think some of you are forgetting that.

Talent wise, its not close either but obviously, this was just one of those games that gets away from you...At MD, it will be a game IMO.

Painful to say, this is the best Duke team to come down the pike in a while.

Are you a Duke fan SG?

Are you a Duke fan SG?

Yup...SG's a big Duke fan.

I'm of the opinion that its really time for GW to move on. We continue to not get a lot of local talent, this team is headed for its 5th out of 6 seasons without an NCAA bid, and Gary just doesn't seem to get enough out of the talent he has any more.

I'm ready for a fresh, new face as the coach of MD.

Painful to say, this is the best Duke team to come down the pike in a while.

Yes it is but nothing matters until March...They have been very un-Duke like in March the last few years...They need to step it up that month.

K starting Smith is a major difference for that team..The defense has gone from very good to amazing and he is a big reason.

Who defended Vazquez today?

I told a friend of mine a few days ago that MD would be lucky to be within 20-25 by the half and this was going to be the worst loss of the year. My reason for saying this was because of the way we lost to Gonzaga and Georgetown earlier. We are outclassed in almost every ACC game and will be the rest of this current schedule. I had to work part of today and had a choice of leaving early enough to get home in time to see the last 15 minutes of the game or keep working and maybe turn on the radio to hear the final minutes. I went on to my computer and opened Fox Sports up and went to games being played and on the screen it said Duke 71 and MD 29. I looked at it again and said Vasquez, Hayes and Bowie must have missed the team bus. I worked a few more minutes and got in the car to hear the last minute of the game. I think Johnny said the final score from Cameron is Duke 85 and MD 44.

Nausea soon started to set in and all I could do was think about the people I know that spend a lot of money supporting the MD athletic programs and more importantly the basketball team. Pathetic! Embarassing! Disgusting! Sad! I guess that's enough adjectives for now to describe this loss. I listened to Gary and I believe he said they would regroup and get ready for their next game. 44 points........I think my former High School team could score 45. I decided to listen to the postgame show to see who showed up today in the scoring column. Wow! Was I surprised.......Vasquez, Hayes and Bowie made it afterall and they scored a total of 9 points combined. What happened? Were they out all night? Did Coach K have the staff slip some valium in their water bottles? Sorry Coach K......I know you would never do that.

One thing is for sure.......MD will be getting a lot of press after this game. I believe we have Boston College and Miami at home this week. Does anyone know if Mourning and Marbury officially graduated from their schools? Is there any way we can help them get their degrees at MD and add them to our roster? Mourning I believe just retired and Marbury has been laying around getting paid to do nothing. I heard the Celtics wanted him. Maybe we can offer both players a scholarship and let them get their degrees for free. Okay....that probably won't work.....can we get a couple of our big linemen from the football team to come in and help our front court? I know this has been done before. Come on Ralph.......show a little team spirit and help Gary win seven more games so we can make the tournament. Humor is always better than crying. The sad part is I am getting used to these losses.

Will we win 17 games this year? How many do we need to make the NIT?

Come on......... We have to give Gary another 3-4 years to prove his mediocrity.

Absolutely. Don't worry, next year's recruits, they are the real deal. :rolleyestf:

It's not Gary's fault. Gary for coach forever.

BTW, even Bob Wade's teams never lost to Duke by 40.

Well there is a bright side to every story.

Duke's bench only outscored Maryland's starters by 1 over the last 16 minutes of the game. :D

I truly wish Duke would have played their starters more than 4 minutes in the second half so we could see an ACC team lose by 60+ points.

Wonder if MD has thought about switching conferences to either the Patriot or CAA? How well do you think they would place in either of those conferences?

Archived