Athletics announcer suspended for using n-word

dystopia

It’s difficult to understand the complex layers here. Was it just a slip of the tongue? A slip influenced by easy use of the word in years past? Does Glen only really relate with Black folk when they are  exceptional athletes in a museum? Who knows? But the quote from Bob Kendrick in the article above seems the best response: 
. "I welcomed Glen to the NLBM yesterday and know he was genuinely excited to be here. The word is painful and has no place in our society. And while I don't pretend to know Glen's heart I do know that my heart is one of forgiveness. I hope all of you will find it in yourselves to do the same!"

15 minutes ago, Chavez Ravine said:

It’s difficult to understand the complex layers here. Was it just a slip of the tongue? A slip influenced by easy use of the word in years past? Does Glen only really relate with Black folk when they are  exceptional athletes in a museum? Who knows? But the quote from Bob Kendrick in the article above seems the best response: 
. "I welcomed Glen to the NLBM yesterday and know he was genuinely excited to be here. The word is painful and has no place in our society. And while I don't pretend to know Glen's heart I do know that my heart is one of forgiveness. I hope all of you will find it in yourselves to do the same!"

Yeah, I was a bit confused with this one. Did he basically just pronounce negro with an i instead of an e? Or did he say the full on racist slur? 

1 minute ago, Flash- bd said:

Yeah, I was a bit confused with this one. Did he basically just pronounce negro with an i instead of an e? Or did he say the full on racist slur? 

He said it.

My take is that he was so worried about saying negro he just stone cold blew it.

37 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He said it.

My take is that he was so worried about saying negro he just stone cold blew it.

That's kind of hard for me to comprehend, that that word can just come out in that context...without being a word that he sometimes uses. I don't know. Really weird. Kinda crazy to think that that word can just come out in that context. I don't know why he should've been so worried about saying negro either, the O's commentators were talking about the Negro Leagues the other day...it's a word used in that context by baseball people a lot. 

Really just a weird one, I'm usually more on the side of the one being potentially cancelled but honestly rather confused by this one. 

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like a simple case of mispronun iation.  Did he have a history of racial slurs?  Reminds me of the guy in Colorado who was supposedly yelling racial slurs but was trying to get the attention of the Rockies mascot, Dinger.  I'm pretty sure this is not how we'll get rid of racism in this country.