Rosenthal says Roberts wants 4 years to stay

McNulty

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Give him four. And start thinking about other question marks on the horizon.like SS, 3b and DH.

To my mind the entire question is whether trading Roberts will net a return that could provide depth at starting pitching and/or the infield. If the answer is no, sign him to a four-year deal. If yes, trade him. I think the Orioles should have taken the deal last year. I don't know if they can get anything worthy in trade this year. I guess we'll see after Hudson signs. I'm sure that MacPhail still would like to try and trade him if he can get the right package. I tend to agree with the assessment that Roberts is likely to decline in performance over the next four years. At this point I don't think he fits with the future direction of the club.

Also, I would add that the base stealing aspect of his game is a little overrated. He may have peaked in 2007 when he went 50 for 57. Last year he was 40 for 50, still good but not at the same level as before. He was also picked off quite a few times, as I recall.

I also think people here are overrating his defense. He's always struck me as basically average defensively. His real value, to me, lies in his extra base hitting and his OBP. He only really started drawing walks in bunches in 2007....That's a skill he would be able to keep for the duration of his next contract, I'm sure.

While Roberts is not in the same class offensively or defensively, Roberto Alomar left Baltimore at age 30 and had 3 of the best years in his career at Cleveland. I feel confident Roberts can maintain his stats for another 3 yrs... and maybe longer.

With no prospects on the horizon in the system, and it being unlikely they would get a quality ML ready 2B in a Roberts trade, I really have no problem signing him to a 4 yr deal...IF...it's for no more than $10M/yr.

MacPhail has options... what the trade options may be are certainly speculation. My preference has remained dealing him, but as aforementioned I/we are not privy to what has been offered, or by whom.

The Braves have always been my favorite target, although other teams have players I covet as well. Tommy Hanson may be my favorite near-ready pitcher prospect, but it's a foregone conclusion that he is off-limits. Same goes for mega-prospect Jason Heyward. So... that leaves 1B'man Freddie Freeman as a top target, followed by lefty starters Cole Rohrbough & Jeff Locke. Perhaps a package of Freeman and one of the lefty's will work? Hard to say.

Considering Freddie posted .316/.378/.521 numbers in the SALy League last year... at age 18, I'm reminded of the words of Laura Nyro - "It's gonna take a miracle".

While Roberts is not in the same class offensively or defensively, Roberto Alomar left Baltimore at age 30 and had 3 of the best years in his career at Cleveland. I feel confident Roberts can maintain his stats for another 3 yrs... and maybe longer.

With no prospects on the horizon in the system, and it being unlikely they would get a quality ML ready 2B in a Roberts trade, I really have no problem signing him to a 4 yr deal...IF...it's for no more than $10M/yr.

If he is offered a 4yr 10MM contract, he would probably sign in a minute.

I agree that he is more likely than not, to continue playing at the same level for at least 3 of those yrs. If the O's don't address replacing him in that period of time, then the onus is on AM and Pete.

Give him the 4 years. We gave Mora a 3 year (with a club option 4th year) when he was 35. A four year extension will keep Roberts through age 35. He'll lose SBs for sure. But he won't have to change position and will play excellent defense. He may become more of a #2 hitter near the end of the contract. But worth it. And it would be nice to have a few role models and excellent players play their whole career with the Orioles every now and again.

I think the entire decision should be based on what we can get for him in a trade. If we can get good value, then trade him. If not, then sign him, and we can always trade him down the line. In reality, having him locked up for 3-4 years could actually improve his trade value. I don't agree with the letting him go for draft picks approach.

Anyone give credence to the belief that AM is waiting for Hudson to sign to see where he stands on trading BRob? Do you think he's still shopping BRob?

AM is a shrewd cat, and that would be a shrewd move, so yes - there's absolutely a chance you're spot on.

I agree trading Roberts for the right package is the best move but if the right package isn't out there I prefer to keep him.

There is value to the organization in keeping homegrown talent at home for the entirety of their career. Extending Roberts for 4 years is doing just this. So long as he will sign for market value, I have no problem locking him up for the rest of his career. Retire him an Oriole, put him in the Orioles HOF, keep him in the organization.

Also, he isn't blocking anyone. If we had another 2b knocking down the door for playing time, then it makes more sense to trade for a lesser package. Since this isn't the case, I say keep the only 2b we have.

Archived