5/7: A Tough Extra-Inning Loss

cboemmeljr

18 minutes ago, orioles119 said:

This game proves that unequivocally, the ghost runner in extras has to end.

I hate it. Unless you score twice in the top of the 10th, it's basically impossible to win in extras on the road. At least have the 10th innings played normally. Maybe add the runner in the 11th and beyond. 

Edited by interloper

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

I hate it. Unless you score twice in the top of the 10th, it's basically impossible to win in extras on the road. At least have the 10th innings played normally. Maybe add the runner in the 11th and beyond. 

Coming into this season: "Home teams went 113-103 in extra-inning games last year and are 262-263 in extra innings since the runner on second rule started in 2020, according to the Elias Sports Bureau. Home teams were 312-294 in extra-inning games from 2017-19."

The ghost runner stops games from going 15 and 16 innings and destroying a bullpen. Both teams get the exact same advantage.

It only sucks when we lose because of it! :D

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Coming into this season: "Home teams went 113-103 in extra-inning games last year and are 262-263 in extra innings since the runner on second rule started in 2020, according to the Elias Sports Bureau. Home teams were 312-294 in extra-inning games from 2017-19."

The ghost runner stops games from going 15 and 16 innings and destroying a bullpen. Both teams get the exact same advantage.

Wow, that's interesting. I feel like the common logic has been what interloper said, that it favors the home team, but home teams have actually done slightly worse since the rule. I wonder if there's anything behind that or if it's just a bit of randomness, as all those records are close to .500 anyway.

As the visiting team, the 2nd run is HUGE. When we scored the first run in the T 10th, with a Mateo's speed on 2nd and no outs, we should have sold out to advance that runner to 3rd.

That means pinch hitting McKenna for Mountcastle and laying down a bunt. 

5 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

That's honestly surprising to me, but point well taken. It just feels like, if you don't score in the top of the 10th, all it takes is a bunt and a fly ball to walk-off. Or to tie if you manage to score one. So as soon as the O's didn't score again in the 11th, I knew it was over. You really only have one shot as the away team, realistically. 

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

That's honestly surprising to me, but point well taken. It just feels like, if you don't score in the top of the 10th, all it takes is a bunt and a fly ball to walk-off. Or to tie if you manage to score one. So as soon as the O's didn't score again in the 11th, I knew it was over. You really only have one shot as the away team, realistically. 

But they didn't lose it in the 11th. They had another chance in the 12th.