The Nats - Boswell mad as hell

zff4

Great article here by Boswell about the inept Washington ownership who Boswell believes owes the city a competitive, or at least interesting team and who have failed irresponsibly to deliver.

There are echoes here that perhaps can be heard in Baltimore.

It certainly hasn't taken long for the natives down here to get restless about the Nationals...but the pink hats will be out in force if this team ever wins anything. Washington's like that: a very, very, very frontrunning town...except for the Redskins.

I've already canceled the Nationals season tickets that I waited 37 years to buy.

That should scare the hell out of the Lerners. They really are inept at public relations, and that makes their non-moves seem even worse. I think they are going to see a huge dive in attendance.

That should scare the hell out of the Lerners. They really are inept at public relations, and that makes their non-moves seem even worse. I think they are going to see a huge dive in attendance.

Especially when you consider that their fan support was very soft regardless of its numbers. The TV ratings for MASN broadcasts were incredibly low, something like half the next smallest audience in the majors which was KC. So even though the attendance was respectable, those people weren't watching the games when they weren't attending them. Talk shows don't discuss the Nats very much. They have a very small cadre of about 4000 or 5000 "real fans" and that's it.

On my way into work yesterday, I listened to a the tail end of an interview with Ryan Zimmerman. His main point was that there team was depleted by injuries and they don't have the depth to recover. I think it's fair to say he has a point.

I think that team is under the radar as far as improvements go. Willingham, Milledge, and Dukes could make a nice outfield if they stay healthy. Zimmerman missed a third of last season and has the ability to be a franchise cornerstone type player. Their pitching is lousy, but they are throwing a lot of young guys out there who still have potential like Balester, Chico, and Lannan to go along with the acquisitions of Cabrera and Olsen.

Not saying this team is going to be good, but they could surprise some and do it with young talent.

Archived