Ohtani Rental?

Bahama O's Fan

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

But then you don't get him for the remainder of the seasons and someone you might be competing with in the playoffs does.  Let's say he's worth 3 wins over in house options over the rest of the year.  You add three wins to the Orioles' tally and you might get a divisional title.  You certainly greatly increase the chances of hosting the WC series.

I'm sure the Rays won't bid if he comes to market.

50 minutes ago, TopGunnar said:

I don’t want to kill anybodys dreams but I’d say the odds we trade for Ohtani are less than 1%. Unless, it’s a package that includes a few prospects from our 10-20 range. 

I think this is probably correct, but that's an outcome, and it is just about process and controlling what you can control.

Mike Elias can control trying to ascertain the acquistion cost of any excellent pitcher, and Orioles bids.   Its dereliction of duty if he doesn't.     Even the Jordan Montgomery tasks maybe ought to be delegated to junior staff if the market shapes up the way it might.    It is possible in the next 16 days Shohei Ohtani, Blake Snell, Tarik Skubal, Max Scherzer, Justin Verlander and "somebody on the Mariners" changes hands.

The Dodgers do have a drag in that they are kind of trying to reset their cap for a 2024 Ohtani bid, but are in a real division race and close to a threshold.

19 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think it will be the Rangers, just saying some teams put value in world series titles.

Unless the Rangers think their window slams shut at the end of this year it's the type of move that makes it less likely they win a WS anytime soon.  Too much randomness in the playoffs - Ohtani would improve their odds by a few percentage points in 2023 but is still vastly more likely than not to actually win it all and it will have been at the expense of next year and beyond.

Best way to win a WS - keep making the playoffs and eventually with the randomness of the MLB playoff system you'll come out on top.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think it will be the Rangers, just saying some teams put value in world series titles.

I could see Rangers making that move.  I think Dodgers prioritize their prospects.  Keeps payroll down so they can pay out big for players they want to bring in.