MacPhail speaks @ 4:30 Phone Press Conference

bomp

Maybe there are, but there are just as many or more people on the OH who not only didn't want those guys in the first place, but also would have liked to have them gone in exchange for peanuts.

If you go to a vendor and offer a pile of crap for peanuts, it doesn't matter how big a pile you offer; you aren't getting the peanuts.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you go to a vendor and offer a pile of crap for peanuts, it doesn't matter how big a pile you offer; you aren't getting the peanuts.

So you're telling me that we couldn't have traded Payton, Trachsel, or Huff to a team for a struggling 22 year old single-A player if we ate half their salary? I would literally have traded them without asking for a single player in return if we got salary relief out of it. Heck, I would be elated if these three were claimed on waivers and we let them go for nothing.

I appreciate your effort to educate some of our posters in matters of baseball, but in order for your information to have meaning, there has to be a base of understanding from which you can build from, I have my doubts that base exists. Mostly mindless, emotional, outbursts. Did I just break a HO rule?

Also, as an aside, should we be worried that he is going to leave his post for the commissioner job? Wouldn't that quickly put an end to any possibility of a new era?

Possibly. But as long as Angelos lets him do his job, I think he will want to stay. His father was in the O's front office when he was a kid and he seemed really excited to return to the organization.

Sounds just like last year. Pathetic.

Last year, the O's had talent that could be traded (talent that someone would want, that is) in Mora and Tejada. This year, no one would touch either of those with a 10 foot pole. In 2005, it was obvious BJ Ryan was not going to be re-signed, so he should have been traded at the deadline. But he was not.

So the difference in MacPhail and the old regime (which, ironically, is still the current regime), is MacPhail had no one of value to trade. Who wants Gibbons? Trashel? Underperforming/coming off an injury Tejada? No one! Who wants Markakis or Bedard? Everyone. But what would be the sense in trading them just to make a trade?

I appreciate your effort to educate some of our posters in matters of baseball, but in order for your information to have meaning, there has to be a base of understanding from which you can build from, I have my doubts that base exists. Mostly mindless, emotional, outbursts.

Personally, I find this insulting, but whatever. The most basic fact about the Orioles remains that they are a bad team that has been bad for a decade. Remember last year, people said it wasn't a big deal that we made no moves at the deadline? There's always the offseason and the next deadline! Until something changes, things will continue to be the status quo.

Regarding the number of days McPhail has been on the job, I'm reminded of a phrase that pops up often on these boards:

SMALL SAMPLE SIZE!

McPhail has proven to be a winner in the past. The fact that we've been waiting 10 years for this team to turn it around should not make us impatient with the man who may finally be able to get it turned around!

Last year, the O's had talent that could be traded (talent that someone would want, that is) in Mora and Tejada. This year, no one would touch either of those with a 10 foot pole. In 2005, it was obvious BJ Ryan was not going to be re-signed, so he should have been traded at the deadline. But he was not.

So the difference in MacPhail and the old regime (which, ironically, is still the current regime), is MacPhail had no one of value to trade. Who wants Gibbons? Trashel? Underperforming/coming off an injury Tejada? No one! Who wants Markakis or Bedard? Everyone. But what would be the sense in trading them just to make a trade?

This is the last time I am going to say this. Bedard will not sign an extension for less than Zito money and the players that we could have got back for him would likely have made the team better than just having him for 17 million a season for the next 6 years.

Close the thread, people...we're not getting another post better than this one! :D

Personally, I find this insulting, but whatever. The most basic fact about the Orioles remains that they are a bad team that has been bad for a decade. Remember last year, people said it wasn't a big deal that we made no moves at the deadline? There's always the offseason and the next deadline! Until something changes, things will continue to be the status quo.

Nobody is saying that it isn't disappointing that we weren't able to accomplish anything, but for you to blame the front office because you think we should have been able to trade a pile of crap, even a big pile, for something tasty and delicious makes your arguement weak. If you find out that we could have had player X for one of our players and we passed on it, share that info and perhaps we'll all band together in critisizing it... but for you to imagine what could happen and be pissed off that it didn't..... I can't say what it is...

Nobody is saying that it isn't disappointing that we wren't able to accomlish anything, but for you to blame the front office because you think we should have been abel to trade a pile of crap, even a big pile, for something tastey and delicious makes your arguement weak.

For the last time, I don't care what we could have gotten back for these guys! I would have eaten half of their salaries and taken literally nothing in return! Are you saying the Mets wouldn't have taken Payton if we ate half his salary and they didn't have to give us anything? (If it's against baseball rules to trade someone for nothing, then we could trade him for a random PTBNL with no chance at future success).

This is the last time I am going to say this. Bedard will not sign an extension for less than Zito money and the players that we could have got back for him would likely have made the team better than just having him for 17 million a season for the next 6 years.

I think you are clearly on record with your position.

And if Garrett Olson has a good 2008 season in the majors will it have mattered so much that we didn't get rid of Traschel so he could have a couple extra starts? I'm not saying it wouldn't be nice for Olson to be getting those starts, but it's not necessarilly the end of the world that he's not.

Archived