Luis Arraez v. Ty Cobb v. Josh Gibson

Just Regular

Aside from being what it takes IRL to acquire Pablo Lopez, Luis Arraez is now at a lifetime batting average of .321 across ~1750 PA in today's game brought to you by Andrew Friedman, powered by Driveline.

This is my first time zooming out to all history (link) since FG added the Negro Leagues data to their repository, and new to me Gibson (and the 80-nicknamed Heavy Johnson!) beat Cobb's .366.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=1500&type=1&season=2023&month=0&season1=1871&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&startdate=1871-01-01&enddate=2023-12-31&sort=7,d

Active Roster guys - Arraez beating Altuve/Miggy/Trout by ~15-20 points.

Across Cobb's 1905-1928 career, he beat Hornsby and Shoeless Joe by about ~5-10.

Across Carew's 1967-1985 career, he beat George Brett by 12 among guys whose careers largely overlapped.

Across Gwynn's 1982-2001 career, he beat Wade Boggs by 10.

Granted Arraez's ongoing numbers haven't had their decline phase drag down yet.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• There is no question in my mind that the coaching staff and analytics staff is doing everything in their power to make sure that Holliday is as well prepared as possible before every game.  And he's been in few enough games at this point to where I wonder if there's enough data yet to start drawing up an effective strategy anyway.  Now that the decision has been made to bring him up, Holliday is owed a long enough window to show he can't make the adjustment even with the benefit of the best support.  If that means he has to be sent down, I'm not going to stress about it.  I'm also not going to hold my breath that he'll turn the corner even so.  Adley made it, Gunnar made it, so did Westburg and Cowser and Mountcastle and Grayson...  If Holliday doesn't make it I'll be surprised and disappointed, but the Orioles under Elias are still way ahead of the game and Norby is looking for an opportunity and time marches on.
    • We have 5 guys on pace for 117 RBI. 
    • If a good defensive SS hits 54 HR and is only worth 8.1 WAR I’m gonna have some serious questions on their methodology. 
    • It’s not the same …. Henderson was batting just under .200. Holliday is batting .040. So about 20 % as good as Henderson was at his worst. And he’s striking out in more than 1 out of 2 trips to the plate.   There is no sense panicking either way. But, there is nothing wrong with sending him down. I think too many of you guys are acting like not sticking with him is some kind of sin. As a fan, I’m worried about damaging his confidence too much.    Plus after all the bullshit from his father, hopefully now he will keep his mouth shut.
    • Pedantic is an adjective. Your definition has it as a noun.
    • There's a difference between being patient at the plate as opposed to comatose.
  • Popular Contributors