Yankees Series

Moose Milligan

6 hours ago, LA2 said:

What is the song title? Not familiar w it.

The scene is from the movie Office Space.  The song is "damn it feels good to be a gansta".  Go to Youtube and search "Office Space printer" and you can watch the scene.  It has bad language so I'm not going to embed the video here.

4 minutes ago, yark14 said:

The scene is from the movie Office Space.  The song is "damn it feels good to be a gansta".  Go to Youtube and search "Office Space printer" and you can watch the scene.  It has bad language so I'm not going to embed the video here.

Ok, I see--Thanks.

11 hours ago, Frobby said:

Right.  It’s not like a bunch of guys are having career years, like Tampa’s players.  For every guy I think might be punching a little over his weight, there’s someone else who’s mildly underperforming.  Overall, I just really like the team’s patient approach on offense.  We still have a couple of free swingers, but overall, we make the opponents’ pitchers work.  That’s a refreshing change from the last quarter-century or so.

I said in the game thread how great it is to watch a lineup that really works the starting pitcher. Its not every single game but it’s most nights. Even less patient players have their moments. Mountcastle and Santander both had good long at bats the last few games that were important parts of the attack. 

In game 1, Adley and Ced went down on 5 total pitches to start the game. Then Santander and Mountcastle both had long at bats v Cole and extended the inning, allowing Frazier to knock in two and get an early lead, with Cole approaching 30 pitches by then.  That’s an example that even the less patient hitters know how to have good at bats. Even if they hadn’t scored that inning was a minor victory. Same thing happened last night - Frazier and Adley out quick then Ryan and Tony have longer at bats to get in base. Yanks P was at 30 by the time the inning was over even though we left the bases loaded. 

Anyway, we are basically doing to pitchers what the rest of the ALE has been doing to us forever. We’ve become a very frustrating lineup to pitch against. It’s one of the differences between this team and the 2012-16 iteration. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Uli2001 said:

I was only half-joking. Adam Jones didn't win here. Buck Showalter didn't win here. Both used to fail when it counted the most. I think this team will win one here.

I wish people wouldn’t define winning as ONLY a World Series. Yes that’s the ultimate goal, but a division title and two other playoff berths is nothing to sneeze at or dismiss with a ‘they didn’t win here’ type statement. They certainly won a lot more than basically anyone else in the last 40 years (a couple mid-90s teams notwithstanding). 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

I wish people wouldn’t define winning as ONLY a World Series. Yes that’s the ultimate goal, but a division title and two other playoff berths is nothing to sneeze at or dismiss with a ‘they didn’t win here’ type statement. They certainly won a lot more than basically anyone else in the last 40 years (a couple mid-90s teams notwithstanding). 

Let’s put it this way: the 2012-16 Orioles were very good teams.  I loved those teams.  They brought us winning baseball and playoff baseball for the first time in 15 years.  But I have higher aspirations for the next five years than what the team accomplished from 2012-16.   I think this team can go further, and stay a contender much longer.   

13 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

You are right to a certain extent. When it comes down to it, they only won one playoff series and didn't win a single ALCS game in that time frame. The 15 years before that stretch makes it look better than it ultimately was though. If that's all this era produces, I'd consider myself pretty disappointed. 

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Let’s put it this way: the 2012-16 Orioles were very good teams.  I loved those teams.  They brought us winning baseball and playoff baseball for the first time in 15 years.  But I have higher aspirations for the next five years than what the team accomplished from 2012-16.   I think this team can go further, and stay a contender much longer.   

I agree with all of this. But that's a long way from saying that Adam Jones and Buck Showalter  'didn't win here', which is the point I was making with my post and the one I quoted.

3 hours ago, LTO's said:

You are right to a certain extent. When it comes down to it, they only won one playoff series and didn't win a single ALCS game in that time frame. The 15 years before that stretch makes it look better than it ultimately was though. If that's all this era produces, I'd consider myself pretty disappointed. 

They won a division title, that's the definition of winning.  Something the team hadn't done in 17 years at the time (and in the 9 years now since).  Dismissing that as 'Adam and Buck didn't win here' is reductive to say the least.