Thursday, May 25: Successful road trip ends with final game in New York

SteveA

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think certain hitters and pitchers will benefit a ton more than others.

I also think that MLB can easily tweak what constitutes a strike to get the walk rate they want.

Yeah its gonna be easy to tweek the zone on the fly.  Up two inches.  Make it one inch wider.  Whatever they want if they find results to be undesired.  But taking the random nature of a crap ump is just good for everyone.  And better for gambling scam prevention also.  Lots of reasons to take the human element out. 

2 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

Yeah its gonna be easy to tweek the zone on the fly.  Up two inches.  Make it one inch wider.  Whatever they want if they find results to be undesired.  But taking the random nature of a crap ump is just good for everyone.  And better for gambling scam prevention also.  Lots of reasons to take the human element out. 

The gambling part is also true.  So many props and such can be carefully worked with as long as the parties in question don't get stupid.

12 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

I think you can say that almost every game lately.  A lot of floating strike zones.  It one thing to have small or big zone but at least be consistent.  

I don't get that. Never have. Sure, it's worse if an umpire is inconsistent, and even worse if the inconsistency helps one team. B

But the rules define the strike zone, and every umpire in every game should be trying to apply that rule in the same way. If he fails to do that, I don't see why failing in a way that's consistent is an excuse or justification for that failure.