Law Mock draft

https://theathletic.com/4539593/2023/05/24/mlb-mock-draft-dylan-crews-pirates/

Has the O's taking local HS 1B/RHP Bryce Eldridge:

"Eldridge is an exit velocity darling but also a great athlete with a plus arm, and the Orioles have gone after those exit velo guys with high picks in recent years. With Jackson Holliday doing what he’s doing in High A, I would have to think the Orioles would be very willing to go back to the high school ranks"

1 minute ago, Just Regular said:

I know Keith Law has to write for the general audience, but he can't really believe recency bias with how Holliday is performing would affect BAL's process-oriented decision making, can he?

He was just saying something to say something.

• Upvote 1

On 5/27/2023 at 8:11 AM, Just Regular said:

I know Keith Law has to write for the general audience, but he can't really believe recency bias with how Holliday is performing would affect BAL's process-oriented decision making, can he?

Law is a dip 💩. To even say that the Os would take Hollidays performance as a barometer for future high school picks is borderline moronic. I believe ME has shown he will take a high school kid if he thinks that is the best player available. 

If it were like Mel Kiper with his connections to and knowledge about the inner workings of the Ravens, I would be intrigued by a statement about the shift in philosophy. Because the selections the O's have made in recent years seems to evince that they were all but closed off to the idea of taking high school hitters. They didn't have much of a choice at 1:1 last year other than to go with a prep bat given the way the board was stacked.

But it's Keith Law, so it's just words.

• 3 weeks later...

New Law mock draft:

17. Baltimore Orioles – Arjun Nimmala, SS, Strawberry Crest High (Dover, Fla.)

This seems like the floor for the 17-year-old Nimmala, who is one of the draft’s youngest players and has shown strong exit velocities, two things the Orioles definitely value in the draft. I’ve heard them on Bryce Eldridge, another big EV guy, and I think they’d be a player for Brock Wilken if those high school bats were gone. As usual, no word around them taking a pitcher in the first.

https://theathletic.com/4620994/2023/06/20/mlb-mock-draft-first-round-changes/

5 minutes ago, calsmanystances said:

New Law mock draft:

17. Baltimore Orioles – Arjun Nimmala, SS, Strawberry Crest High (Dover, Fla.)

This seems like the floor for the 17-year-old Nimmala, who is one of the draft’s youngest players and has shown strong exit velocities, two things the Orioles definitely value in the draft. I’ve heard them on Bryce Eldridge, another big EV guy, and I think they’d be a player for Brock Wilken if those high school bats were gone. As usual, no word around them taking a pitcher in the first.

https://theathletic.com/4620994/2023/06/20/mlb-mock-draft-first-round-changes/

My guess is there is no word of any sort coming out of Oriole camp.

At best he's talked to a scout that has admitted to scouting a particular player and recommending them.

I don't know if Elias loosened up any on Holliday, but I remember an anecdote on Adley v. Witt that people in the room with Elias the hour before the draft still didn't know his intention.     I believe even in that hour he was probably grinding the player reps for any sliver of extra resources for others, which is his job.

He's demonstrated enough aptitude these now almost 5 years for this kind of thing I know pundits want clicks, but I don't read much into any of it.

I will enjoy the fun of it if we draft whoever is the Gregg Olson type guy.