Grayson Optioned

waroriole

Its fine.     He was never going to pitch every 5th or 6th day for 185 days, and it'll be a benefit to acquire Club control of 2029.    

Grayson had a path to earn his FA after 2028, and couldn't muster the performances needed to hold it.

I'd still bet on him as the likeliest Game 1 starter in October if we get there, though in the first round I wouldn't expect any Oriole Arm to face more than 18 batters unless one of those laughers we never get.

Really unfortunate situation with Grayson. I don’t remember the last time I saw a guy get hit that hard consistently. Let alone the top pitching prospect in baseball, let alone somebody who knows 100. Very disappointing. Hope he figures it out in Norfolk because as an organization we need him. 

1 minute ago, Just Regular said:

Its fine.     He was never going to pitch every 5th or 6th day for 185 days, and it'll be a benefit to acquire Club control of 2029.    

Grayson had a path to earn his FA after 2028, and couldn't muster the performances needed to hold it.

I'd still bet on him as the likeliest Game 1 starter in October if we get there, though in the first round I wouldn't expect any Oriole Arm to face more than 18 batters unless one of those laughers we never get.

Can you explain your logic of thinking Grayson will be game 1 playoff starter?

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

He showed flashes. He showed why he can be an elite pitcher but the reality is that he is still not the guy he was pre-injury. 

It’s hard to imagine that the lat injury messed him up so bad but clearly it did. Im sure it’s some minor tinkering, both with his mechanics and between his ears but he’s not giving us competitive starts, so sending him down makes sense.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

You can see why Elias favors hitters in the draft. Pitching is so risky. There is a chance neither become reliable starters.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, TopGunnar said:

Can you explain your logic of thinking Grayson will be game 1 playoff starter?

4 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

He has much more talent than Kyle Bradish, Kyle Gibson, Tyler Wells and Dean Kremer.

I would place a hopeful bet that our 2023 Game 1 playoff starter is not currently in the Orioles organization. And a hopeful bet that Grayson will get plenty of Orioles playoff Game 1s in 2024 and beyond.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Chaka Garcia said:

You can see why Elias favors hitters in the draft. Pitching is so risky. There is a chance neither become reliable starters.

Or you could say that you can see why Elias favors hitters because the systems he has put into place are much better at developing them.

Bryce Miller was a 4th round pick in 2021.  You see what he's managed to do so far?

Other teams manage to develop pitching.

• Upvote 4

It's the right move. If we were still in 100 loss mode, on the job training is fine. But we're a contending team and it's clear he's not ready to dominate major league pitchers. At this point, I'd plug in Cole Irvin in his rotation spot.

Side note: What kind of weak lineup is this for tonight's game?

C Mullins (L) CF
A Rutschman (S) DH
A Hays (R) LF
R Mountcastle (R) 1B
R Urías (R) 3B
J McCann (R) C
A Frazier (L) 2B
R McKenna (R) RF
J Mateo (R) SS