Grayson Optioned

waroriole

Sadly the answer may be that Grayson is not very good, I have never seen anyone get hit so hard and the stats in the posts above indicate that it basically has never happened before. This is even worse than the norm for the O's. Guys like Gausman and Bundy were adequate and of course Gausman became a legit #1/#2 when he left the O's

• Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Going Underground said:

Grayson bobblehead tonight but not pitching till tomorrow, Marvel night. I guess working on things because eight days since last start.  At least he looks so happy in the picture to be in Norfolk.

He looks like Roy Kent in this picture.  About as happy as Roy Kent, too.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

The only thing I will say about the tipping pitches thing is why did the Orioles not see this and why have they not been able to fix it? 

Now I don't know if it's true or not, because I can't see it, but I do see the lack of command of the secondaries and fastball at times.  

I do see a guy who when things go bad behind him things tend to snowball which suggests he loses concentration on the mound. 

I do see a guy with a 96-99 MPH fastball who doesn't get away with a lot of mistakes, which at that velocity, he should, especially if batters have to respect his offspeed pitches. Personally, I think batters have discounted his offspeed stuff and sit dead red on him because he can't throw enough quality strikes with his offspeed pitches. 

Strike % for pitches:
Fastball: 54%
Cutters: 50%
Change: 49%
Curveball: 42%
Sliders: 36%

So until you get to two strikes, why would you respect his breaking balls? 

Also, Grayson may want to adjust his 4-seamer, which has a poor spin rate, and consider trying to go to a sinker to offset his cutter similar to what Bradish did. Batter tee's off his fastball, partly because I think they sit on it because of his lack of ability to get ahead of hitters with his off speed stuff, and partly because it's pretty true vertically. 

He just has a lot of stuff to fix, and does make me wonder why these weren't addressed in the minors where they have the same statcast info. Did the Orioles need him to fail for him to fix these things? 

I think it’s mechanical.  Check out his Toronto game against Toronto.  He threw about 48 fastballs.  7 swing and misses.  7 foul balls.   Only 2 were hit hard in fair territory.   It was also the only game I’ve seen of his where he was able to get the fastball down in the zone consistently.

47 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

The only thing I will say about the tipping pitches thing is why did the Orioles not see this and why have they not been able to fix it? 

Now I don't know if it's true or not, because I can't see it, but I do see the lack of command of the secondaries and fastball at times.  

I do see a guy who when things go bad behind him things tend to snowball which suggests he loses concentration on the mound. 

I do see a guy with a 96-99 MPH fastball who doesn't get away with a lot of mistakes, which at that velocity, he should, especially if batters have to respect his offspeed pitches. Personally, I think batters have discounted his offspeed stuff and sit dead red on him because he can't throw enough quality strikes with his offspeed pitches. 

Strike % for pitches:
Fastball: 54%
Cutters: 50%
Change: 49%
Curveball: 42%
Sliders: 36%

So until you get to two strikes, why would you respect his break balls? 

Also, Grayson may want to adjust his 4-seamer, which has a poor spin rate, and consider trying to go to a sinker to offset his cutter similar to what Bradish did. Batter tee's off his fastball, partly because I think they sit on it because of his lack of ability to get ahead of hitters with his off speed stuff, and partly because it's pretty true vertically. 

He just has a lot of stuff to fix, and does make me wonder why these weren't addressed in the minors where they have the same statcast info. Did the Orioles need him to fail for him to fix these things? 

Two different questions there.  The first is whether the O’s identified the issue.  The second is why haven’t they been able to fix the issue.  This is a pretty smart front office so it seems unlikely that the rest of the league is aware of Grayson’s pitch tipping while the O’s are not.  It’s possible, but improbable.   More likely is that they have been trying to have Grayson work through the problem at the MLB level and it’s just not working.  Pitching can be a bit like a golf swing, sometimes a minor adjustment can cause things to get out of whack.  Tipping pitches, lack of control, and too many non-competitive pitches = Norfolk to work things out.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, jdwilde1 said:

Two different questions there.  The first is whether the O’s identified the issue.  The second is why haven’t they been able to fix the issue.  This is a pretty smart front office so it seems unlikely that the rest of the league is aware of Grayson’s pitch tipping while the O’s are not.  It’s possible, but improbable.   More likely is that they have been trying to have Grayson work through the problem at the MLB level and it’s just not working.  Pitching can be a bit like a golf swing, sometimes a minor adjustment can cause things to get out of whack.  Tipping pitches, lack of control, and too many non-competitive pitches = Norfolk to work things out.

I tend to think this is the right answer if there is tipping involved.

Getting sent to AAA isn’t the worst thing. Remember how quickly Bradish did a 180 last year after being sent down?  About a month. He seemed helpless. As @Tony-OH pointed out, his fastball wasn’t fooling anyone. 

Grayson needs to figure out his pitch arsenal. Then consistently command 2-3 pitches. When pitchers try and throw 7 pitches they all start to blend together.