Saturday, May 27: Ryan Mountcastle Bobblehead day vs Rangers

SteveA

1 minute ago, Mooreisbetter27 said:

Of course not and you know that. You also know that you were indicating you wish they weren’t here when he’s been one of our most productive players. 

He wasn't good last season. Calm the eff down. 

Edited by Beysbol

7 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

She may well have been one of the 60 cheapest pbp announcers available.

I suspect this is more accurate. If the orioles “just wanted a woman to check a box” there were other people available. They chose Newman, which implies there were factors other than her gender.

Between radio and tv the orioles have 8 people on their primary announcing team. All 8 are white, only one is female. Doesn’t exactly seem like a team that cares that much about diversity in hiring to me. (Whether that bothers you or not, is a different conversation)

For those who didn’t see the DP — we had men on 1st and 2nd, one out. Mateo the runner on 2nd is the potential tie run.  Adley at the plate hits a soft fly to short left. LF catches it easily and throws to 2nd for the DP. Turns out Mateo was attempting to steal 3rd on the play (had to rewind to see that) and when the ball was caught he was standing next to 3rd and had no way to get back. Melanie Newman doing play by play froze up and said nothing while the play was happening, and Palmer had to step in to tell the audience it was a double play to end the inning. When I saw the play I assumed Mateo had forgotten how many outs there were, but only saw the attempted steal after rewinding. 

Far as I can tell neither Newman or Palmer talked about the play afterwards, or mentioned that Mateo was trying to steal third. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

She was not hired to do just pre and post game. She was hired as one of the rotating play by player announcers between radio and TV. She thankfully lost out the main gigs to Brown, Arnold and Hollander. 

She has moved into the main role of post game and fill in PBP announcer. 

I have zero against her. She's good looking young lady who seems to be a big baseball fan. Who doesn't like that?

But, she's just not very effective at PBP. She just feels like someone who got promoted too quickly to the majors. 

Didn’t they used to let Tom Davis do some play-by-play? He had her role previously. All I am saying is this doesn’t seem that abnormal for the Orioles. 

6 minutes ago, seak05 said:

Do you think all the white men currently calling mlb pbp were hired because they’re one of the 60 best?

No. I think some probably were hired because they used to be players or they have a connection to the local city. Some very well have been hired because they knew the right people to get an interview and then convinced the team to hired them. 

There are lots of reasons why anyone is hired. 

Newman is not close to being good enough to be a major league PBP announcer. There are probably 100 or more minor league PBP guys with a ton more experience who deserved a chance and would have been better. 

There is one thing Newman has over them. She checked a box.

Sorry if the reality of the world does not jive with what you want to believe, but that's the way things work. It happens in the real world and it happens especially in the sports world now where teams are trying to check boxes all the time to show how great they are.

Now, is Newman so bad that I need to turn off the sound on TV, no, I don't think so. But no one can convince me that if she was a guy with the way she announces, that she would have been hired. 

• Upvote 1