Tex turns down 8/140 from Rangers

Sports Guy

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1) Here's hoping for a hometown discount :D

2) That just made not trading for him a LOT easier, because if he actually is playing hardball for Rodriguez money and therefore won't give us an HTD (no jokes, please :)), NOT trading Bedard (or Cabrera-plus, for that matter) is looking REALLY good right now.

For him to come here, we would have to put 8/250 on the table...at least.

That's better then 31 mil per, for that kinda money I would pass and not think twice about it. IMO 25 per is absurd, I think sports in general is getting crazy with the mega contracts that are tossed about. I understand that if it were not for the players there would be no games but it is insane that a player makes sooooo much more then the President of the United States (regardless of party , so no political jokes). And I don't believe for one min. that you, SG, are advocating we pay/offer him that contract, I am just speaking in general.

That's better then 31 mil per, for that kinda money I would pass and not think twice about it. IMO 25 per is absurd, I think sports in general is getting crazy with the mega contracts that are tossed about. I understand that if it were not for the players there would be no games but it is insane that a player makes sooooo much more then the President of the United States (regardless of party , so no political jokes). And I don't believe for one min. that you, SG, are advocating we pay/offer him that contract, I am just speaking in general.

Well i did say, i would only give him 5 or 6 years, so.....:D

Actually, that is $31.25 million per...;)

25 mil/year is almost worth it.

31 mil/year comes close to breaking the principle of only going for top-tier free agents. And considering the complete lack of value that exists in the middle-tier free agents, that's saying a lot.

Yikes.

You think 6/200 will do it for ARod?

If it was a short term contract it might, but considering the number of years ARod is likely to ask for whomever signs him will have made as big a mistake as the Rangers did in signing ARod originally.

I personally think that they got a million times more value out of their ARod contract than they did out of their Chan Ho Park contract. If there was a backbreaker, it was the Chan Ho Park one.

At least ARod performed like a 15-20 million dollar player. Texas paid Chan Ho Park 65 million over 5 years and got a big fat zero for their money.

Edit: Also, the 26 million he received at the time he signed his contract is probably closer to 40 million a year in today's landscape.

Archived