Tex turns down 8/140 from Rangers

Sports Guy

Atlanta isn't going to shell out 7-8 years at 22+ million a year, which is what it would take for him to sign an extension...You can pretty much guarantee that.

You have said that before, but never offered any rationale for it.

6/75 for A Jones and 6/90 for C Jones were industry-leading type contracts back when they were signed.

They paid the going rates for Maddux, Smoltz and Glavine for all of those years... and more recently, Tim Hudson.

Schuerholz is a very shrewd GM, but he isn't a cheapskate.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

6/75 for A Jones and 6/90 for C Jones were industry-leading type contracts back when they were signed.

They paid the going rates for Maddux, Smoltz and Glavine for all of those years.

None of those guys were traded for on a rental type basis..Besides Maddux, they all had long standing ties to the Atlanta organization.

I think that played a big part in it...Plus, those contracts are a lot different(no matter how much times have changed) than 8/176(or more).

They paid the going rates for Maddux, Smoltz and Glavine for all of those years.

Wasn't that was under a different ownership... when Ted shed the Braves to Time Warner, they cut payroll. I don't know what the new ownership will do, it will be interesting to see.

I don't see the Braves paying a premium extending/signing Tex. That's not been their MO over the last few years.

I also don't think Tex is worth $20 million a year on a longterm deal. For that reason, I won't be upset if the Orioles don't sign him. My attitude might change depending on how Tex does away from Arlington's bandbox ballpark, which many Oriole fans seem to ignore as a possible contributor to his eye-popping numbers.

What do people think about a Aaron Rowand signing? I think he will be around 10 million a year, and his production has gotten better every year. I think he could even move over to left field if we wanted to keep C Pat

Aaron Rowand would be a poor move by the Orioles.

None of those guys were traded for on a rental type basis..Besides Maddux, they all had long standing ties to the Atlanta organization.

I think that played a big part in it...Plus, those contracts are a lot different(no matter how much times have changed) than 8/176(or more).

You've yet to point out a valid reason to think that Schuerholz wouldn't sign a guy like Tex to a 8/176 type of contract if he felt he was a cornerstone, and that's where the market was at.

He has paid market rates for his cornerstone players in several other instances. Why wouldn't he do it again?

You've yet to point out a valid reason to think that Schuerholz wouldn't sign a guy like Tex to a 8/176 type of contract if he felt he was a cornerstone, and that's where the market was at.

He has paid market rates for his cornerstone players in several other instances. Why wouldn't he do it again?

New ownership...Too much money...That simple.

They paid the going rates for Maddux, Smoltz and Glavine for all of those years... and more recently, Tim Hudson.

Not really for Andruw. He left 10s of millions on the table by signing that extension.

I don't see the Braves paying a premium extending/signing Tex. That's not been their MO over the last few years.

I also don't think Tex is worth $20 million a year on a longterm deal. For that reason, I won't be upset if the Orioles don't sign him. My attitude might change depending on how Tex does away from Arlington's bandbox ballpark, which many Oriole fans seem to ignore as a possible contributor to his eye-popping numbers.

Why would the Braves have to pay a premium? They're far more likely to get a hometown discount.

I'm trying to think of a prime-age, impact player like Tex that the Braves have simply waved goodbye to without making a strong effort to keep.

They didn't bid on Glavine, but he was like 39. Same with Maddux.

They tried hard to keep Furcal, but the Dodgers just blew everyone away.

What obvious example of a spendthrifty MO am I overlooking?

For the record, I am worried about Tex signing long-term with Atlanta. More than likely by offseason 2008, Smoltz and his contract will be over, A. Jones is already gone, and Renteria expires. That is a lot of $$$ coming off the books - more than enough to pay Tex.

Re: Tex turning down the rumored 8/140 deal. We already know he thinks that the Rangers will be non-contenders for a while. But what we do not know is the structure of the proposed contract. How much money was deferred, how much was backloaded? Heck, Ichiro is getting paid in 2030. I bet that the contract proposed by the Rangers was a lot less appealing than the 8/140 figure would indicate, and was posturing by the owner to appease the fans for the trade (which I think Daniels did an excellent job considering that the national media thought he would need to more or less dump Tex).

Archived