Marcus Stroman

bpilktree

He is making himself look like one of top pitchers available at the deadline.  He just shutdown the Rays on 9 scoreless innings and just 1 hit.  There is a bunch of possible upgrades on teams that are hanging on the edge of races but if they fall out May make guys available.   All guys with more then 1 year left of control too.  You have Stroman, ERod(option), Mitch Keller, Bieber, Cease and maybe few others.  It will be interesting next 6 weeks or so to see who stays in it and who becomes sellers.  The Central in American and National leagues is still pretty wide open but they have some players other teams will be interested.  

Obviously, Stroman is coming off of a gem of a performance today. But overall he has had a nice season to date. I was against the idea of adding him to "the list" at first. But on second look, I could see a scenario where we acquire him AND an EdRod type if we are insistent on not parting with any top tier prospects.

Both Stroman and Eduardo Rodriguez can probably be had for a borderline top 100 prospect+ each. Meaning a Mayo/Norby kind of guy, plus.

1 minute ago, Bemorewins said:

Obviously, Stroman is coming off of a gem of a performance today. But overall he has had a nice season to date. I was against the idea of adding him to "the list" at first. But on second look, I could see a scenario where we acquire him AND an EdRod type if we are insistent on not parting with any top tier prospects.

Both Stroman and Eduardo Rodriguez can probably be had for a borderline top 100 prospect+ each. Meaning a Mayo/Norby kind of guy, plus.

Trading Mayo for a rental would be foolish.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Trading Mayo for a rental would be foolish.

I don't disagree necessarily. I believe that Stroman has another year on his deal after this one though. But Ed Rod is almost assuredly to opt out. Why wouldn't he?

The suggestion was a proposed type of deal for those who don't want to give up anyone of Westburg, Ortiz, Cowser, etc (higher rated prospects); which one or some would have to be included in a deal for an upper tier (available) SP who has more years on their deal.

1 hour ago, 7Mo said:

Mitch Keller seems like the guy you build a young team around. I'd be very surprised if PITT would trade him.

I agree but they have locked up Cruz, Hayes, and Reynolds all who have less years of service but haven’t done it with Keller.  It seems a lot of these deals where they buy out years comes from positional players and not often with pitchers.  It is bigger risk for tram and even players it seems with pitchers.  

I should also add that the Orioles system is so stacked that you can package a bunch of players outside the top 100 MLB prospects and still get good value on your return. Darell Hernaiz proved players like that are desired. And if you're able to layer about 5-10 of those guys in a package (thus cleaning up the pipelines in the process for other prospects to flow through), then you can get a decent return. Much better than a Cole Irvin.

I would look at a bunch of the Orioles abundance of relief pitchers in the organization down the pipes, and see what return they can bring. Guys like Virbitsky, Brnovich, Hoffman, Van Loon, etc. Position players like TT Bowen and Placencia, Servidio, Anderson Del Los Santos, etc.

Start there and see what interest there is for players of that ilk Maybe you can find a good rental. Then negotiate as necessary.

7 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I should also add that the Orioles system is so stacked that you can package a bunch of players outside the top 100 MLB prospects and still get good value on your return. Darell Hernaiz proved players like that are desired. And if you're able to layer about 5-10 of those guys in a package (thus cleaning up the pipelines in the process for other prospects to flow through), then you can get a decent return. Much better than a Cole Irvin.

I would look at a bunch of the Orioles abundance of relief pitchers in the organization down the pipes, and see what return they can bring. Guys like Virbitsky, Brnovich, Hoffman, Van Loon, etc. Position players like TT Bowen and Placencia, Servidio, Anderson Del Los Santos, etc.

Start there and see what interest there is for players of that ilk Maybe you can find a good rental. Then negotiate as necessary.

It’s one thing to trade Hernaiz for Irvin who is a fringe MLB starter. But from that suggested list, do you believe that kind of package can land a Stroman?

Those are accessory pieces at best. How could that add in value for a Major League, potentially impact starter who has a year and a half left on his contract? Do you believe the Cubs will have no other suitors for Stroman? 

It will be interesting to see how many GM's on the playoff fringe pull a '22 Elias and sell.

It isn't hard to challenge for sixth best in a 15-team league.    We're about to play the Giants who seem like they are having a second mediocre year after the magical one, but they and the Marlins are IN with a .519 winning percentage.

At 23-30, Stroman and Dansby and Trey's Cubs are just 4.5 games behind the Giants, though granted with half the league between them and 6th.

Giolito-Eduardo-Stroman-Bieber I have heard batched as a "Big Four" but one or two of their teams could have a real run.    I expect Elias to do something, but I would be surprised if he paid any pre-deadline higher asks.

7 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

It’s one thing to trade Hernaiz for Irvin who is a fringe MLB starter. But from that suggested list, do you believe that kind of package can land a Stroman?

Those are accessory pieces at best. How could that add in value for a Major League, potentially impact starter who has a year and a half left on his contract? Do you believe the Cubs will have no other suitors for Stroman? 

I never said Stroman. Re-read and you will understand that I was writing in broad terms. 

With that said, this is a thread about Stroman and based on your quote, I have just now gained the impression that you may be over rating Stroman.

1 hour ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I never said Stroman. Re-read and you will understand that I was writing in broad terms. 

With that said, this is a thread about Stroman and based on your quote, I have just now gained the impression that you may be over rating Stroman.

Ok. No, I’m not that high on Stroman. I don’t believe in reactionary responses. Because none of us is as consistently good or bad as our best and worst. We are all somewhere in the middle of our best and worst results.

However, it can be argued that he is better than ANYTHING that we currently have. And that will be worth/valued more than fringy/spare part type prospects. Just because that’s what we decide to pay, doesn’t make that what the game says he’s worth. 

If that’s all we offer, the Cubs will say fine and move on and get much better from some other team. Stroman while not a true ace or upper echelon pitcher is still MUCH better than Cole Irvin and will therefore cost much more to acquire.