Aaron Hicks (Update: Signed by the Orioles to replace Mullins)

cboemmeljr

Just now, banks703 said:

Unfortunately I called this one yesterday when Cedric went down and I stand by it being a very Orioles thing to do. 

Don't get your hopes up on seeing Cowser any time soon. Aaron f'ing Hicks it is. 

Cowser is injured. Hicks makes sense. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Exactly.  This is a "who cares" type of move for me.  Hicks is available, he will get some starts in the outfield while Mullins is out, and then will be DFA'ed or kept as a bench bat if he does well.  For those clamoring for Cowser, he is on the IL. 

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Honestly the move makes more sense for us now than it would be with a 100 loss team.  There is no upside to Hicks.  He's 33.  To me he's got more (although still really close to zero) value as a short term backup on a contending team.  Stick him on the bench until Mullins gets back.

Then just bring up Daz Cameron. Who cares if he isn't on the 40, add him then DFA him when Cowser is ready in a week, like what was the point of getting Cameron as "depth" if you don't use it. Unless maybe its a minor league deal for Hicks 

I would still rather have Westburg up and move Fraizer to right

Edited by Orioles0615

1 minute ago, waroriole said:

I get it and don't necessarily disagree with the move as I think it's inconceivable to rush Cowser to the parent club with him coming off of the 10 or so days that he has been out himself. It's hard to decipher what it means for Cedric right now though. I could see a Hicks signing signaling either a short term injury for Cedric or a longer term thing, though obviously hoping for the quick recovery. 

The time to bring up Cowser was a few weeks ago when he was mashing, before the injury. I hope that doesn't come back to bite them like it did with Grayson last year.

Sub 650 OPS each of the last 3 seasons (including the SSS of this year).

Oft injured.

OAA the last few years hasn’t been that good.  Statcast likes his arm but not much else. Gets poor jumps.

I don’t see the reason for this but as long as he doesn’t prevent them from bringing up Cowser soon, it’s not a big deal.

Tells me Mullins isn’t a short term issue.

9 minutes ago, Orioles0615 said:

Then just bring up Daz Cameron. Who cares if he isn't on the 40, add him then DFA him when Cowser is ready in a week, like what was the point of getting Cameron as "depth" if you don't use it. Unless maybe its a minor league deal for Hicks 

I would still rather have Westburg up and move Fraizer to right

I assume they don’t want to bring him up for short term then have to DFA him and possibly another team claim him on waivers.  If Cowser then does come up in 7-10 days you still need some outfielders in AAA.  Elias likes to keep his depth even in the minors.