Aaron Hicks (Update: Signed by the Orioles to replace Mullins)

cboemmeljr

15 minutes ago, Matt Bennett said:

C'mon, Hicks is bad. Call Westburg up.

Frazier/Hays/McKenna/Santander across OF.

Westburg/Mateo/Henderson/Urias across 2B/SS/3B. 

There are at-bats to be had. 

Completely agree. To add to it, you can even stick Mateo in CF now and again. He got a few looks there in spring training. 

Hicks put up 1.6 rWAR / 1.4 fWAR last year. Cameron has never put up positive WAR in any year in his career. Hicks could be washed... his sprint speed is down, in a small sample this year, and it wasn't that great last year. But it's not clear to me whether Hicks or Cameron would be a better fill-in here. I hope that this is not more than temporary.

Sorry my bad. Forgot Philips is a LH. Hicks still not any better. 

As poster above said, if Hicks is willing to take minor league deal for depth purposes fine. But I don't see that in this case. This looks like an Elias scrap heap deal for ML roster.

1 minute ago, dtk9119 said:

Sorry my bad. Forgot Philips is a LH. Hicks still not any better. 

As poster above said, if Hicks is willing to take minor league deal for depth purposes fine. But I don't see that in this case. This looks like an Elias scrap heap deal for ML roster.

If he takes a minor league deal, does he still get the $30M or so remaining on his contract in addition to the minor league salary?

1 minute ago, rm5678 said:

If he takes a minor league deal, does he still get the $30M or so remaining on his contract in addition to the minor league salary?

Yes, the Yankees are still on the hook for that.   They might not have to pay him the tiny fraction that we are paying him, but the other 99% they would still owe him.

If we sign him to replace Mullins despite us have better in-house options, it will further my opinion that Elias has taken us as far as his abilities can take us. He’s a master at building a talent pipeline. But I think he’s totally out of his element in assembling a championship roster. 

Hicks has been believed in by the Yankees and disappointed them for quite a few years and now they're finally rid of him--their fans are relieved, but I hope he has a streak for us where he plays closer to his once-bright potential all while the Yankees pick up the bill. Leaving the Bronx arena of fan hatred might actually revive him, for a while.

Edited by LA2
  • Upvote 1

If Colton Cowser is back and healthy and Aaron Hicks is still on the roster, I will be a lot more concerned.  We're facing nothing but right handed starters the rest of the week.  Given the way Elias has managed the roster based on projected pitchers, this could be nothing more than adding another lefty while Cowser gets healthy.  Calling up Ortiz would have put another right-handed bat in the lineup and would be out of character with how Elias has done things so far.  

I believe that if Cowser or Stowers was healthy, this wouldn't be happening.