Giants Series

Just Regular

.475, .483, .660, .500, .500

Those are the winning percentages of the last five Giants teams.     The 2021 Giants did have the boost of Buster Posey's swansong - 304/390/499 after he was recharged as one of baseball's biggest stars who opted out of 2020 entirely.     Our catcher tonight comes in with a 289/411/443 line.      Their catcher tonight, Patrick Bailey, is just a couple weeks into his career and taking the league by storm so far.

K-BB Active Roster standing (40 IP minimum)

(68) Kremer v. (14) Webb

(70) Bradish v. (53) Cobb

(18) Wells v. (52) DeSclafani

This morning there are exactly 100 Arms FG sees at that threshold.     All the Giants guys have low ERA's - Webb in particular is coming off a Pitcher of the Month type May.   From his BP feature this morning on the big month:

Player G GS IP K BB% Whiff% CSW% ERA WHIP FIP
Logan Webb 5 5 34.2 33 6.7 20.3 30.4 1.30 0.98 2.62

Webb leads all MLB with a 3.02 DRA. He has been that good. His sinker may not miss many bats (6.1%), but it generates huge depth and tons of ground balls (62.7%). However, Webb thrives behind his plus-plus changeup. It has elite depth, with more running action than ever this year, resulting in a staggering 69.1% ground ball rate. Webb has impeccable command of the pitch, evidenced by a tight pitch chart and a 76.6% strike rate. His slider also possesses above-average depth and sweep, but his command of the pitch is more spotty and he primarily lives outside the zone with the pitch (32.1%).

Maybe the Os can pivot away from the recent stretch of poor baseball.  SF is not a great team, although they have been playing better lately.  The Brewers have been struggling a bit recently, but overall are a decent team.  Hoping they can at least go .500 over this road trip.

16 minutes ago, TommyPickles said:

Rotation ERA:

SF- 3.86 (6th in MLB)

O's- 4.81 (21st in MLB)

Bullpen ERA:

O's- 3.49 (6th in MLB)

SF- 4.29 (21st in MLB)

fearful symmetry... (with a nod to the orange & black theme...):

image.jpeg.8c764c5201ba53335f2f0c5cdd7022e8.jpeg

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Not feeling great about this series. 

We’re alright. No LH SP either that we’re facing. Seems like the first series in forever without a LH SP. Big OF though. Will Santa and O’Hearn be ok in RF?

For this series if we play O’Hearn all three I think we make up for the offense missed by Mullins. 

OPS wise

Hicks and O’Hearn(RF) = Mullins and Vavra

I like Vavra but we cannot afford to carry his OPS and his questionable role with Mullins out. He’s a “luxury???” we cannot afford. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

I'd be shocked if we go 3-3 or better on this trip and would be thrilled if we go 2-4.

SF -- unfamiliar place to play (really looking forward to watching them play there however) and west coast adjustment. Facing 1-3 starters. And Alex Cobb will probably mow us down. Hopefully we can get one game there.

MIL -- saw the O's play there in 2008. Pretty sure they lost both games I went to.. of course those were the lean years. Very tough place to play. Again an unfamiliar place, but at least it's CDT. Hopefully we get one.

I watch the Giants fairly often(my wife’s team) and I can say the series is tougher than what you see on paper since they had such a terrible start.
Schmitt and Bailey have been some great additions coming up playing solid defense and hitting well.
Doval has been red hot his last 11 save opportunities striking out 20 in 12 2/3. Taylor Rogers is looking good and Tyler giving you that weird arm angle and they are getting back Luke Jackson from TJ this series. 
It is chilly and damp and the first two games are starting at 10pm eastern, so who knows what effect that will have on the team. The air is heavy, so it is more difficult to get it out of the park. 
All I know is I can’t give my wife too hard of a time if they win and will get a lot of shit from her and her dad if they lose. 

Edited by sevastras

1 hour ago, glenn__davis said:

I don't think Mountcastle has been affected much by the wall this year.  He's just been awful against RHP.  But we all know he's capable of going on hot streaks so maybe he'll pick it up in SF.

Mountcastle has a .709 OPS at home and .711 away.  It’s not the wall.  

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, sevastras said:

I watch the Giants fairly often(my wife’s team) and I can say the series is tougher than what you see on paper since they had such a terrible start.
Schmitt and Bailey have been some great additions coming up playing solid defense and hitting well.
Doval has been red hot his last 11 save opportunities striking out 20 in 12 2/3. Taylor Rogers is looking good and Tyler giving you that weird arm angle and they are getting back Luke Jackson from TJ this series. 
It is chilly and damp and the first two games are starting at 10pm eastern, so who knows what effect that will have on the team. The air is heavy, so it is more difficult to get it out of the park. 
All I know is I can’t give my wife too hard of a time if they win and will get a lot of shit from her and her dad if they lose. 

Yep, the Giants were 11-17 on May 1, since then they have reversed that and gone 17-11.   And as noted, we get their top 3 starters.  So although we are playing a .500 team, they have been playing like a .600 team for a month, and we are getting their best pitchers.

On the bright side, they are 18-22 vs RH starters, and 10-6 vs LH starters, and they'll get nothin' but righties from us.