Has Gunnar's struggles slowed the promotion of other O's prospects?

wildcard

15 minutes ago, waroriole said:

SS and 1B. 

Correct. 

Fixed by trading Mountcastle (no, we won’t get much for him) putting Tony at 1B, and bringing up Cowser to play RF. 

And bringing up Westburg/Ortiz for SS. I’ve been a Mateo supporter on here but when he’s cold at the plate he’s ice cold.  I’m not chomping at the bit to get rid of him but I do think he can be replaced. 

I am, however, chomping at the bit to get rid of Mountcastle, who somehow seems to have gradually regressed over the course of his career. Someone pointed it out the other day, but if he had half the plate discipline of Adley, he’d probably be the best hitter on the team. 

So, yes, this team does have some obvious areas in which it could improve. Hoisting up “win pace” in early June is a fools errand.  If it were late August, I’d be more receptive but we’re not even at the halfway mark.  

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, waroriole said:

SS and 1B. 

Who do you play at 1b?

SS is debatable.  Mateo is still on pace for a 3+ WAR season.  If he hits a little again, that number could climb.  I mean, is it fair to call a guy who's a ~3.5 WAR SS for a year and a half running, a "hole?"

Are Ortiz and/or Westburg just automatic 3 WAR players?  I don't think so.

But if Mateo puts up another 400 OPS month, then yeah, you start looking at some changes.

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Correct. 

Fixed by trading Mountcastle (no, we won’t get much for him) putting Tony at 1B, and bringing up Cowser to play RF. 

And bringing up Westburg/Ortiz for SS. I’ve been a Mateo supporter on here but when he’s cold at the plate he’s ice cold.  I’m not chomping at the bit to get rid of him but I do think he can be replaced. 

I am, however, chomping at the bit to get rid of Mountcastle, who somehow seems to have gradually regressed over the course of his career. Someone pointed it out the other day, but if he had half the plate discipline of Adley, he’d probably be the best hitter on the team. 

So, yes, this team does have some obvious areas in which it could improve. Hoisting up “win pace” in early June is a fools errand.  If it were late August, I’d be more receptive but we’re not even at the halfway mark.  

The idea that people can’t see the forest through the trees is insane to me.

Its so short sighted to site the record this team has. I’m not saying ignore it but to act as if this team doesn’t have holes and that adding players for help isn’t worth it is just pure stupidity.

Frazier is starting to crap the bed again, Henderson can’t hit lefties, we have middling at best role players getting regular at bats but yet we don’t have room for these guys?  It’s completely laughable to have that short sighted stance.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The idea that people can’t see the forest through the trees is insane to me.

Its so short sighted to site the record this team has. I’m not saying ignore it but to act as if this team doesn’t have holes and that adding players for help isn’t worth it is just pure stupidity.

Frazier is starting to crap the bed again, Henderson can’t hit lefties, we have middling at best role players getting regular at bats but yet we don’t have room for these guys?  It’s completely laughable to have that short sighted stance.

If this team were bludgeoning opponents to death with a 100+ run differential, I’d be inclined to leave it alone. 

To your point about Frazier, I agree. But I think everyone here knows he’s not going anywhere so it’s essentially peeing in the ocean to keep talking about him. But yeah, him too. 

6 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

If this team were bludgeoning opponents to death with a 100+ run differential, I’d be inclined to leave it alone. 

To your point about Frazier, I agree. But I think everyone here knows he’s not going anywhere so it’s essentially peeing in the ocean to keep talking about him. But yeah, him too. 

And btw, I don’t want anyone on the current team DFA’d or completely benched.

That is not what I am calling for. I’m not calling for them to hurt team chemistry, etc…just want at bats taken away from guys who don’t deserve them every day.

I don’t think you ignore how well the team is playing..but you don’t assume that it’s going to continue all year long and, as you said, the run differential isn’t good.(relative to their record)

It’s not like this team has some large margin for error. It’s insanity to act as if it does.

Edited by Sports Guy
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Pickles said:

Who do you play at 1b?

SS is debatable.  Mateo is still on pace for a 3+ WAR season.  If he hits a little again, that number could climb.  I mean, is it fair to call a guy who's a ~3.5 WAR SS for a year and a half running, a "hole?"

But if Mateo puts up another 400 OPS month, then yeah, you start looking at some changes.

Yes,  it's completely fair to call Mateo a hole.  I don't care how good his defense is, it can't offset how bad the bat was in May and so far is in June.  I would bring up  Cowser and Westburg now, and Ortiz back up as soon as whatever is bothering him health wise is better.   The at bats can be taken from Mountcastle, Frazier and Mateo, and roster spots of Vavra, OHern and McKenna.

20 hours ago, wildcard said:

So are you saying there is no adjustment from AAA to the majors? And rookies are no different from established players?

There is certainly an adjustment period,  because Gunnar has struggled doesn’t mean the next guy will. 

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Orioles were shut out for the 5th time all season last night..all 5 since May 3.

They were a middling offense in the month of May compared to the rest of the league.

In May they were tied for 4th in the AL in runs scored, mostly on the strength of hitting .791 OPS with RISP.  Their other offensive numbers were much middling.   

This figured to be a low-scoring series, and so far, it has been. 

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

In May they were tied for 4th in the AL in runs scored, mostly on the strength of hitting .791 OPS with RISP.  Their other offensive numbers were much middling.   

This figured to be a low-scoring series, and so far, it has been. 

They were 11th overall…wRC+, wOBA, OBP were all middle of the pack.

12 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

Henderson may need to miss some time with the back, but fortunately we have some good prospects at AAA to step in.  

So we better see what Maikel Franco is up to. 

Hyde said he has been dealing with it for a few days. Day to day at the moment but we will see how long they are ok with playing a man short.

14 hours ago, Pickles said:

Who do you play at 1b?

Anybody could play 1B. Santander, Urias, Mountcastle. We should’ve been getting Westburg and Stowers reps at 1B too. 

It depends on which metric you look at as to whether Mateo is on pace for a 3 win season. According to fWAR, he’s on pace for less than 2. He’s been less impressive defensively this year. I’m not saying bench him, but he shouldn’t be an every day player. Any decent manager should be able to find 4-5 games per week for Henderson, Westburg, Urias, Mateo, and Frazier, especially if 1B is an option for one or more. 

Now is the time we should be experimenting with lineups and see which IF combo is the best. Instead Hyder/Elias seem determined to force Frazier at 2B and Mateo at SS. It’s not like any of them are doing anything to justify being everyday players.