Tyler Wells 2023

Mooreisbetter27

56 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Both Wells and Mesns are eligible.  You only need to be on the 40-man or the 60-day IL.

However, I question what’s going on with Wells.  He threw an inning on August 23 and August 25, and hasn’t pitched since.  That and the Lopez acquisition mske me thibk something may be wrong with Wells.

It might just be that the organization is really trying to limit his innings, even though Elias has stated publicly that none of the pitchers are on innings limits. Maybe he'll get one more minors appearance as a tune-up and then come up. 

Or yeah, maybe he's hurt. 

9 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Arm fatigue for Wells..again? FFS.

For someone as big as he is, he is as fragile as a China doll.

And yet people want to rely on him for a rotation spot next year?  No thank you.

He did have TJ in 2019 and has exceeded his career high in innings. Arm fatigue could be their way of stashing him or it could be that he really is suffering from arm fatigue, which is an ILable thing.

If he doesn’t throw another inning for them this year I don’t think that’s the worst thing. Other guys have stepped up and we’re only a few days from seeing John Means activated.

I think Wells is more valuable as a rotation piece than as a pen arm anyway. 

3 minutes ago, banks703 said:

He did have TJ in 2019 and has exceeded his career high in innings. Arm fatigue could be their way of stashing him or it could be that he really is suffering from arm fatigue, which is an ILable thing.

If he doesn’t throw another inning for them this year I don’t think that’s the worst thing. Other guys have stepped up and we’re only a few days from seeing John Means activated.

I think Wells is more valuable as a rotation piece than as a pen arm anyway. 

He’s completely unreliable. It’s foolish to rely on him when you have other options and the resources to get better ones.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He’s completely unreliable. It’s foolish to rely on him when you have other options and the resources to get better ones.

By your standards we literally have one every day player.

Having Tyler Wells as a starting option next spring is a very good thing.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Pickles said:

By your standards we literally have one every day player.

Having Tyler Wells as a starting option next spring is a very good thing.

No it’s not. A guy who breaks down at 100 innings and gets hurt every year or has arm fatigue or whatever isn’t a reliable option.

What he is, is a great option to have around as a back up. What he isn’t, is a guy that should be one of the 5 members of a rotation for a team trying to win a WS, especially when it’s clear an upgrade to the rotation needs to be made somewhere and you have 4 in house options that are all likely back and here next year.

Because of injuries, likely poor performance from someone, etc..he will get his chance and we will be glad to have him but entering the season, you can’t rely on that arm to get you through it.

Edited by Sports Guy

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

No it’s not. A guy who breaks down at 100 innings and gets hurt every year or has arm fatigue or whatever isn’t a reliable option.

What he is, is a great option to have around as a back up. What he isn’t, is a guy that should be one of the 5 members of a rotation for a team trying to win a WS, especially when it’s clear an upgrade to the rotation needs to be made somewhere and you have 4 in house options that are all likely back and here next year.

Because of injuries, likely poor performance from someone, etc..he will get his chance and we will be glad to have him but entering the season, you can’t rely on that arm to get you through it.

No, he's probably not your fifth guy next year, but you can't say it's "not good" that he's an option for the rotation.  Or that he's "completely unreliable."

The hyperbole just gives the impression that place very little value on players, who though flawed, still have obvious value.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Pickles said:

No, he's probably not your fifth guy next year, but you can't say it's "not good" that he's an option for the rotation.  Or that he's "completely unreliable."

The hyperbole just gives the impression that place very little value on players, who though flawed, still have obvious value.

I never said he didn’t have value. I was very clear that he has value and that he’s a great option to have as a back up. 

But yea, entering the year, he’s not a good option as our 5th starter.

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I never said he didn’t have value. I was very clear that he has value and that he’s a great option to have as a back up. 

But yea, entering the year, he’s not a good option as our 5th starter.

A lot of teams that win a lot of games go into seasons now with options a whole lot worse than Tyler Wells in the rotation.

It would be nice to upgrade.  They didn't last year, and it hasn't stopped them from having the best team in the league.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, rm5678 said:

Melewski tweeted this quote from Hyde about Tyler Wells:

"He's just got a little bit of arm fatigue. He's being transitioned to the bullpen role. Just didn't bounce back as we were hoping. Hopefully he is out there soon."

He’s been talking with Flaherty apparently.