Tyler Wells 2023

Mooreisbetter27

Any word on Wells' progress?  Velo?  Movement/Ride?  I have to think he's doing some arm maintenance or something between his 1 IP outings.  Wells at 100% would at least improve the BP (or provide a matchup #3 or 4 type SP if needed).  But it feels like they are grooming him for the playoff pen if he's up to it.

He's pitched twice since (1 IP each) since the sky was falling on 9/5 with 2 Ks, 0 BBs, and 0 Rs.  Each time only facing 3 batters.  20 out of 27 pitches were thrown for strikes (swinging or in zone).

2 hours ago, btdart20 said:

Any word on Wells' progress?  Velo?  Movement/Ride?  I have to think he's doing some arm maintenance or something between his 1 IP outings.  Wells at 100% would at least improve the BP (or provide a matchup #3 or 4 type SP if needed).  But it feels like they are grooming him for the playoff pen if he's up to it.

He's pitched twice since (1 IP each) since the sky was falling on 9/5 with 2 Ks, 0 BBs, and 0 Rs.  Each time only facing 3 batters.  20 out of 27 pitches were thrown for strikes (swinging or in zone).

I don't have an update, but I think he's behind Baumann, Baker and even Krehbiel to come back this season. I would not be surprised if he's done for the year. Either way, he was a big part of the Orioles great 1st half and hopefully he'll come back next year and compete for a rotation spot. 

• 2 weeks later...

From Roch:

The reports on Tyler Wells at Triple-A Norfolk apparently are more favorable that his stats.

Wells worked two-thirds of an inning last night and was charged with one run and two hits. He has a 9.00 ERA and 1.833 WHIP in six innings.

“Sounds like his stuff was pretty good, so that’s encouraging,” Hyde said. “I know the line wasn’t great, but the stuff is ticking up a little bit. So, I think he’s definitely an option for us down the stretch.”

• Upvote 1

Wells will get up to 9 games of audition time for a postseason spot. I'm a little surprised to see him back up. 

I wonder if this would have been the plan anyway, or if they were forced into it by Baker & Irvin being ineligible to call up without an IL move. 

Edited by Spy Fox

3 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

Wells will get up to 9 games of audition time for a postseason spot. I'm a little surprised to see him back up. 

I wonder if this would have been the plan anyway, or if they were forced into it by Baker & Irvin being ineligible to call up without an IL move. 

They are at the point of throwing everything at the wall and seeing what sticks, it seems.

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, Malike said:

They are at the point of throwing everything at the wall and seeing what sticks, it seems.

Yes, I agree.  It would be nice if Wells comes through.  He contributed a ton to our first half success.  

I’ll be interested to see if our intrepid beat reporters actually ask him questions about what’s been going on the last two months.  

42 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yes, I agree.  It would be nice if Wells comes through.  He contributed a ton to our first half success.  

I’ll be interested to see if our intrepid beat reporters actually ask him questions about what’s been going on the last two months.  

Now that would be something interesting.

This effectively ends Baumann's season with the big club, right? With only nine games remaining, he cannot be recalled without an injury and if they are swapping Big Mike for TWells (instead of the obvious move - to me - of cutting bait on the Jorge Lopez rerun) I'd have to think that they don't think Big Mike is playoff roster worthy. 

I am not surprised to see TWells recalled but that it's for Baumann is surprising to me.