Tyler Wells 2023

Mooreisbetter27

I agree that moving him to the pen should be seriously considered if/when warranted and I’m not completely dismissive of these two outings out of the break but I do wonder if Tyler would take it as a demotion and how much that could mess with his psyche. 

They said early and at least once recently that Tyler had no restrictions this year but then pushed his first start of the second half. I happen to think that his routine just got disrupted. I did not notice anything mechanical with him in these two starts. Granted, being a big guy it’s very easy for things to get out of whack and even little things can cause big problems for someone his size but he said during the post-game that he’s working on some things/bad habits creeping up during the season. 

I’m not concerned just yet. He hasn’t had a rough stretch the entire season until now. Hopefully it’s just a stretch for him due to his routine being thrown off on him. Let’s revisit when we get into August if he is still having trouble locating his stuff. 

On 7/23/2023 at 9:41 PM, banks703 said:

I agree that moving him to the pen should be seriously considered if/when warranted and I’m not completely dismissive of these two outings out of the break but I do wonder if Tyler would take it as a demotion and how much that could mess with his psyche. 

They said early and at least once recently that Tyler had no restrictions this year but then pushed his first start of the second half. I happen to think that his routine just got disrupted. I did not notice anything mechanical with him in these two starts. Granted, being a big guy it’s very easy for things to get out of whack and even little things can cause big problems for someone his size but he said during the post-game that he’s working on some things/bad habits creeping up during the season. 

I’m not concerned just yet. He hasn’t had a rough stretch the entire season until now. Hopefully it’s just a stretch for him due to his routine being thrown off on him. Let’s revisit when we get into August if he is still having trouble locating his stuff. 

Who cares how he feels. He’s completely ineffective. If poor baby can’t handle going to bullpen cause then send him to minors. He’s clearly gassed.

5 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

He’s toast. I would put in on the IL and then transition to bullpen. Probably need to move Irvin to that role unless a trade is made.

Irvin has pitched well. In my eyes he should be starting. I won’t suggest something silly like that he should start over TWells if TWells is healthy but Irvin should be getting starts.  

Wells has to have pinpoint command the stuff isn’t at the same level as Kremer, Bradish, and GRod.  It doesn’t mean he can’t be effective but he doesn’t have stuff that you can get away with and right now a put away pitch.  

4 minutes ago, IllinoisOsFan said:

Less than a month ago Wells was the darling of this rotation. Shit changes quickly. 

He’s pitched well and the admiration was deserved. He doesn’t seem right, whatever the cause. My comment on Irvin deserving starts isn’t necessarily related to TWells struggling.

If TWells is in fact gassed then they should move him to the pen if they think he can be still be effective.