FCL Orioles 2023

Tony-OH

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Nice to see Estrada getting going today. Went 2-for-4 with a double, HR and walk. seems they've settled on him playing 2B which probably makes the most sense based on some of the reviews of his defense and arm.

But the biggest story may be the hitting of Maikol Hernandez so far. Went 3-for-4 playing 3B today as Arias got SS time today. He's batting .462 so far while batting first as a priority play everyday. If he keeps it up he could move up to Delmarva to unjam the SS position in the FCL.

Good day for Arias as well, going 3 for 5.  Nice to see several key prospects off to a good start down there.  

17 hours ago, Frobby said:

Estrada was pulled at the start of the second inning after grounding into a force play in the first and remaining on base while the next batter struck out.  Perhaps he pulled a muscle running to 1B?

According to Eric_Birdland he went out for a pop up and Benavides was playing outfield slid under him as they both attempted the catch.  He did say anything more than that except that he was injured on that play.  Hopefully, minor.

Showalter with another nice outing today. 3IP, 0H, 3BB and 7K’s. 

I suspect he won’t be long in Sarasota if he keeps this up seeing how he’s about to be on the downslope to the ripe old age of 20 (born Jan 2004). Let him finish up this year in Delmarva and start his age 20 season there. 

Edited by scarey1999
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, scarey1999 said:

Showalter with another nice outing today. 3IP, 0H, 3BB and 7K’s. 

I suspect he won’t be long in Sarasota if he keeps this up seeing how he’s about to be on the downslope to the ripe old age of 20 (born Jan 2004). Let him finish up this year in Delmarva and start his age 20 season there. 

Every time I read or hear his name, I have to remind myself, "No, he's not related to Buck." Although that would be interesting.

Estrada hasn't played since the injury and Tavera still doesn't have a a hit o not exactly the start they were hoping for through the first week of games. 

I will say it must be tough with so many players on the roster to find playing time. Must be stressful for these guys to get a start and then may not play again for 2 to 3 games. The Orioles need to go back to two FCL teams or have less guys on the roster because some of these guys need to be playing everyday.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Thank goodness for Monday rookie ball when the O’s have the day off.  FCL O’s won 6-4 today, evening their record at 3-3.  Maikol Hernandez hit a solo homer and is hitting .333 with a .902 OPS.  Rolphy Cruz, who like Hernandez is repeating the FCL, hit his went 2 for 3 and is hitting .471 with a 1.630 OPS (11 AB, 18 TB).   Catcher Aneudos Mordan hit his second homer and has a .636 BA, 2.169 OPS (11 AA, 16 TB).   Starting pitcher Luis De Leon threw 5 shutout innings on 3 hits and 2 walks, striking out 6.

Glad to see all the rookie ball teams have at least a win so far.  I think in years past, there was at least a 0-win team after the first week.

I don’t know much about Rolphy Cruz, but the 20-year old sure is off to a nice start in the FCL, with 4 homers and 9 RBI in 7 games, hitting .500/.600/1.208.  Last year he had a .542 OPS in 99 PA in the same league.  Nice to see him off to a hot start.   

• Upvote 3