luis arraez is amazing,might hit .400 this season

ace20251

the guy is a hitting machine.its amazing to see,and i believe he is only making 6 million this season.if the orioles could ever have a chance to trade for or sign him,with adley mullins santander and some of the young players the lineup would rake.

Edited by ace20251

• ace20251 changed the title to luis arraez is amazing,might hit .400 this season

His career AVG+ is 5th all-time.  Ahead of Gwynn, Williams, Boggs, Musial, Hornsby, Carew, etc.  Pretty amazing. 

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=y&type=23&season=2023&month=0&season1=1871&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&startdate=1871-01-01&enddate=2023-12-31&sort=6,d

Edited by ArtVanDelay

Love seeing a throwback, high average hitter.  Hope he can do it.

9 hours ago, Frobby said:

Much as I’d like to see someone hit .400 in my lifetime, I’d peg Arraez’s odds at 25-1.   His xBA is 68 points below his actual BA.  That will catch up to him eventually, I expect.  Hope I’m wrong.  

And beyond that, he’s outperformed his xBA in four of his five major league seasons, including this one. If that’s a fluke, it’s a fluke that’s been perpetuated over five years and nearly 1,800 plate appearances.

When I watch Cesar Prieto, I kind of dream of him turning into a Luis Arraez type player. Obviously the odds are highly stacked against that and if he becomes a Hanser Alberto type player it'll still be a bit of a win, but Prieto and Arraez have similar styles and approaches to at bats.

• 2 weeks later...

With 73 Marlins games down and Arraez at .400, he’s already making history. Thanks to research from MLB.com’s Sarah Langs, we know that only one qualified hitter since 2000 has floated above .400 later in the season than Arraez. That was Boston Red Sox shortstop Nomar Garciaparra in 2000.

73 games in and he's already doing what no one has done in 23 years. 

8 hours ago, jabba72 said:

With 73 Marlins games down and Arraez at .400, he’s already making history. Thanks to research from MLB.com’s Sarah Langs, we know that only one qualified hitter since 2000 has floated above .400 later in the season than Arraez. That was Boston Red Sox shortstop Nomar Garciaparra in 2000.

73 games in and he's already doing what no one has done in 23 years. 

This doesn’t make a lot of sense.  If we weren’t 73 games in, he wouldn’t be the last guy to be at .400 this late in the season. 

FWIW, Garciaparra missed about 2.5 weeks in May 2000 with an injury, so his Game 73 was team game 89.   He was last over .400 in his Game 75, team game 91, on July 20.  He “only” hit .339 the rest of the way, and ended up at .372.   

It will be interesting to see how long Arraez can keep it up.  In my lifetime, George Brett made it all the way to his Game 99 (team game 134) in 1980.