Brewers Series

Just Regular

Had an I'm happy for him, and a chuckle, reaction to Jon Singleton making it back to the big leagues just before Elias and Sig's team comes to town.    Evan Drellich's book had some of the story that around the time Singleton got one of the earliest extensions for someone on a prospect list, he was also battling some substance issues.

The Brewers have long term been the NL Rays for me, but this year is unrolling for them more like they are the NL Twins.     Their record is short of what they probably hoped in part because of lots of injuries, but in the forgiving Central they are still at the top with the Pirates, and have a good lead on everyone.

Their Bats went to sleep yesterday against a rookie making their MLB debut, but they had a good wraparound to Monday weekend in Cincinnati, winning 3 out of 4.    

SP Matchups, Active Roster K-BB rank, 40 IP minimum, MLB-wide:

(87) Gibson v. (62) Peralta

(69) Kremer v. (67) Burnes

(68) Bradish v. (71) Rea

Burnes had the drama with his Arb hearing last offseason when the Club only had stellar performances to nitpick.    He hasn't pitched up to his best yet.

BATS, Fangraphs wRC+ gives BAL a 105-87 edge entering the series.    Brice Turang is a prospect shortstop who has gotten some extra run with Willy Adames injury but MLB Arms are crushing him.     They've been going with Owen Miller in the 2nd spot between Yelich and Rowdy Tellez at the top of the order.     Luis Urias just back from 60-day IL with hamstring pull is 0-for-8 to open his MLB season....he helped Mexico's good WBC run.

• Upvote 1

I still like to know the ERAs of the pitchers.  

Gibson (3.89) v. Peralta (4.62)

Kremer (4.43) v. Burnes (3.75)

Bradish (4.13) v. Rea (4.94)

The Brewers have a pretty lame offense, ranking 14th in the NL in runs/game, 15th in OPS, 14th in OPS+.  

Behind their starters, their bullpen ranks 7th in the NL with a 4.11 ERA, almost exactly league average.   They’ve done an excellent job of protecting leads, with a 75% save rate (15/20).  By contrast, the O’s pen has a better ERA (3.41) but a worse save rate (19/33 = 58%).   

Against the AL East, the Brewers are 3-6, having gone 1-2 against each of Boston, Tampa Bay and Toronto.  They started the season 18-9, then went 9-16, and most recently have gone 5-3.   They’re 16-12 at home.  

Overall, it’s certainly a winnable series on paper. 

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The Brewers have a pretty lame offense, ranking 14th in the NL in runs/game, 15th in OPS, 14th in OPS+.  

Behind their starters, their bullpen ranks 7th in the NL with a 4.11 ERA, almost exactly league average.   They’ve done an excellent job of protecting leads, with a 75% save rate (15/20).  By contrast, the O’s pen has a better ERA (3.41) but a worse save rate (19/33 = 58%).   

Against the AL East, the Brewers are 3-6, having gone 1-2 against each of Boston, Tampa Bay and Toronto.  They started the season 18-9, then went 9-16, and most recently have gone 5-3.   They’re 16-12 at home.  

Which means they'll put up huge numbers against us.  Kinda weird how that seems to work with the worst offenses and our pitching.  

35 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Saw someone on Twitter that I follow bring up the idea of the Os trading for Peralta.

I tend to doubt that they would trade him since he’s pretty cheap for the next 3 years but he would be an interest target if they would look to move him.

Where would you rank him compared to our current starters?

26 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Anywhere from 1-3, depending on different factors.

Interesting.  His career track record is pretty good, but the metrics suggest he’s been pretty mediocre this year.  His xERA is 4.45, FIP 4.76, both close to his actual ERA of 4.62.   He’s certainly been better than that in the past, and he’s only 27.   Durability has been a bit of an issue, and he was shut down with shoulder inflammation twice last year.  Velocity is actually up significantly this year.  

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Interesting.  His career track record is pretty good, but the metrics suggest he’s been pretty mediocre this year.  His xERA is 4.45, FIP 4.76, both close to his actual ERA of 4.62.   He’s certainly been better than that in the past, and he’s only 27.   Durability has been a bit of an issue, and he was shut down with shoulder inflammation twice last year.  Velocity is actually up significantly this year.  

He is cheap for the next 3 years. That combined with his age make him appealing.

He has good K numbers and misses a lot of bats.(although the K numbers have dropped the last few years)

This year, the walks and homers are up.

His statcast numbers are pretty good for the most part.

He doesn’t throw enough strikes though. He is routinely below league average in strike%. He can take another step if he gets his str% up.

The other issue I see is that he simply hasn’t thrown a lot of innings.  He’s very much like Tyler Wells in that regard.

I think he’s an interesting target. Could be a TOR guy or could simply be a guy you use to fill out your rotation. 

Not sure what I would give up. The suggestion that the guy threw out was Hall and Stowers or Mounty. I would do that deal but I tend to doubt Milwaukee would although the down year this year combined with lack of innings thrown will likely keep his value down but that’s also part of why I don’t think Milwaukee trades him.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Favorable matchups.  I thought for sure that we would see Irvin for a spot start, but I guess the off days led us to this.