6/6: Air Quality Postpones Norfolk

cboemmeljr

How close is Cesar Prieto to Luis Arrez?  They both seem to be hit machines but not much power.  Will his bat to ball skills translate enough to be a .320+ type hitter in the majors.   I doubt it is with us with so many other infielders but wonder how other teams value him.  

13 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Really, air quality? Wow.

That Bowens Little League home run was something else. What a terrible outfielder. 

Great job always posting the twitter videos in these. I enjoy them every day.

Is Toronto going to cancel their whole season because it's actually on Canada.  Approx 10% of my youth was spent within 5 feet of an outdoor fire and I'm fine. cough, cough.

7 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Anyone know what the air quality is like in Delmarva? I've heard that wild fire is sending smoke down pretty far. Someone in Charlotte, NC even said they could see it. Makes me wonder if it will affect Bowie & The Baysox or Salisbury and the Shorebirds.

Definitely a visible haze here in northern Virginia.

22 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Really, air quality? Wow.

That Bowens Little League home run was something else. What a terrible outfielder. 

Great job always posting the twitter videos in these. I enjoy them every day.

Thanks Tony.  Glad you find them useful.

• Upvote 1

Air quality this morning is getting significantly worse in the Baltimore-DC area.   Currently 342 in Baltimore, 258 where I am in Bethesda.  Yesterday was around 175 here.   

I’m not sure how bad Scranton (where the Tides are scheduled to play) was yesterday, but it looked pretty bad on the map.  Today it’s still poor, but better than down here (192).   Harrisburg PA was at 435 (!) earlier today, now “down” to 410.   

It feels like the East coast is getting a little taste of what Colorado experienced in 2020. Imagine having all of this smoke for months, during a time of social unrest, in the middle of a pandemic, and looking out your window to see the mountains visibly on fire. It felt very apocalyptic. 

18 hours ago, bpilktree said:

How close is Cesar Prieto to Luis Arrez?  They both seem to be hit machines but not much power.  Will his bat to ball skills translate enough to be a .320+ type hitter in the majors.   I doubt it is with us with so many other infielders but wonder how other teams value him.  

IMO a .320+ type hitter is in the realm of possible outcomes.  But no way you can project on that.

Last year Prieto's K% was about 15% over two levels.  He's at 5.3% in 2023.  Arraez's highwater marker in the minors/majors is 10.9% with only two stops at/above 10% (one being his age 24 MLB time).  Conversely, Arraez's only sustained ISO never topped .104 (tossing the SSS of 2017).  Where Prieto posted a .278 in A+ last year and is running a .130 so far this year.

I hope in true kaizen fashion, the O's philosophy and approach for each hitter shifts over time based on new data.  Arraez, Frazier, angle of entry, swing path maximization, biomechanics, etc. all providing new data in the science lab.  Prieto is an interesting case study for sure.  (And, for those of us with a tinfoil hat nature, maybe can provide a glimpse behind the curtain of what the great Oz is up to...)