What made Gunnar the #1 prospect in baseball and where is that guy?

Matt S

13 minutes ago, survivedc said:

Curious if you mean more dynamic from a personality perspective?

Power and speed, not that Gunnar is a slouch in those areas himself.      Julio could go 40/40, but Gunnar could push .400 OBP.    Savant gives Julio 97/97 percentiles on Max EV/Sprint Speed, while Gunnar is "only" like 93/82.

Personality, having now seen Gunnar as player of the game five straight games, a large percentage of MLB ballplayers might have him there.      As a rookie Gunnar is doing a solid job with his interview fundamentals.     Until a few days ago he was a "high-strung" kid fighting it, so no shock he isn't really feeling it yet when Kevin Brown tries to tell him he's the greatest thing ever.

Sure was nice seeing him and Adley smiling and relaxed in the dugout looking out at Bassitt tonight!

Pretty sure @Roy Firestone and I and a few others said,”be patient, this kid is special and possibly a greater player than we have seen on the Orioles since before Machado.”.  Adley is special for a catcher, Gunnar is special for any position. Like I have said , I am not one for hyperbole but I like Gunnar more than I liked Machado and I loved Manny. We as Orioles fans may have some of the best players on the team in a long time. Enjoy it and next year, if Holliday comes out of the gate slow, don’t say he was rushed and he needs to be sent back down. Just go with it. 

• Upvote 1

AL Active Roster - his wRC+ now 10th among all bats.    Another week of this, and he's an All-Star candidate too.

I noticed Bo Bichette did one of those Arb avoiding pleasantries, selling his 4th-5th-6th years for 4/12/18 million back in February.     Corey Seager's last 3 years of salaries before FA went 4/8/14.

7 hours ago, sevastras said:

Pretty sure @Roy Firestone and I and a few others said,”be patient, this kid is special and possibly a greater player than we have seen on the Orioles since before Machado.”.  Adley is special for a catcher, Gunnar is special for any position. Like I have said , I am not one for hyperbole but I like Gunnar more than I liked Machado and I loved Manny. We as Orioles fans may have some of the best players on the team in a long time. Enjoy it and next year, if Holliday comes out of the gate slow, don’t say he was rushed and he needs to be sent back down. Just go with it. 

I still think Adley can be more than just "special for a catcher". Gunnar is probably going to have to solve his issues vs LHP to catch or surpass what Manny became, but it's very exciting to see his progress. 

7 hours ago, sevastras said:

I am not one for hyperbole but I like Gunnar more than I liked Machado and I loved Manny. 

Realistically, I think Gunnar has a pretty good chance to be better than Manny offensively.  He’s got better OBP skills and similar power.   Defensively, Manny in his prime is pretty untouchable.  Gunnar can be pretty good defensively but I can tell you already he’ll never be as good as Manny at his best.  He might be as good at SS but not at 3B.

It’s really amazing to me how quickly stats can move even in mid-June.  Here’s Gunnar’s OPS over the last week:

That’s why we shouldn’t get too upset when a guy has “disappointing” numbers this time of year.   Things can change in a hurry.  A week ago people were complaining about Gunnar, and now we’re wondering if he’ll be Rookie of the Year.

By the way, on Saturday when Gunnar was at .752, Brian Roberts said he thought Gunnar would end up at around .850.   He forgot to add, “by next Wednesday.”   😎

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/14/2023 at 12:09 AM, Just Regular said:

Power and speed, not that Gunnar is a slouch in those areas himself.      Julio could go 40/40, but Gunnar could push .400 OBP.    Savant gives Julio 97/97 percentiles on Max EV/Sprint Speed, while Gunnar is "only" like 93/82.

Personality, having now seen Gunnar as player of the game five straight games, a large percentage of MLB ballplayers might have him there.      As a rookie Gunnar is doing a solid job with his interview fundamentals.     Until a few days ago he was a "high-strung" kid fighting it, so no shock he isn't really feeling it yet when Kevin Brown tries to tell him he's the greatest thing ever.

Sure was nice seeing him and Adley smiling and relaxed in the dugout looking out at Bassitt tonight!

Julio’s got a bigger personality it seems, always smiling. But Gunnar plays a position where he can be in the action more. Would love to see Gunnar use his wheels more!

On 6/14/2023 at 12:37 AM, sevastras said:

The O's are lucky to have 2 of the best young players in baseball.  I think Cowser might be special too and obviously Holliday has a good chance to be one of those special players.  It's a good time to be an O's fan, after years of struggling thru lean times.

1 hour ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

The O's are lucky to have 2 of the best young players in baseball.  I think Cowser might be special too and obviously Holliday has a good chance to be one of those special players.  It's a good time to be an O's fan, after years of struggling thru lean times.

Those 3 and Grayson will be nightmares for AL East for years ..-and Kjerstad !! 

Edited by tntoriole

• 11 months later...

Couldn't help bumping this thread after remembering it just now, seeing Gunnar hit his league tying 17th HR and OPS at .979...Corbin Carroll, meanwhile...

Didn't age well, this one.