And so itbegins

Ginger

11 hours ago, btdart20 said:

Adley's offense and defense are pretty low on my list of concerns.  Maybe he hasn't been the future HOF we expected thru his sophomore year, but dude's been pretty good.  Can we get back to talking about Frazier?  Or BP usage?  :)

He hasn't solidified his case yet, but if he continues being a ~5 WAR/year guy, as he's been last year and into this one, then he has a pretty darn good shot.

I think SG has a point in that what we have seen from Adley has not met our high expectations. But I would also say that the weight of expectations is likely wearing on him in his sophomore campaign and I for one am not disappointed. I feel the same way about Gunnar. They are going to be fine. Perhaps with a bit more rest instead of DH’ing and we will see better numbers. The performance however is still pretty elite for a 1-1 in his second campaign. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Weight of expectations 

Sophomore slumps

Why is everyone moving the goal posts so much?  Do you think Seattle fans see Rodriguez not hitting as well and just say, well it’s ok. 

I don’t even know what point you are trying to make anymore.  If Adley proceeds for the rest of the year as he has as of today, I will be mildly disappointed in his season, considering what he did last year.  In that event, he’d “only” be an all-star level catcher, rather than the top-5 MVP candidate I thought he might be this year, based on what he did in 3/4 of a season last year.  

At the same time, I think it’s important to note that we’re discussing this at a low point for Adley.  His OPS is the lowest it’s been since the 7th game of the season.  He’s got plenty of time to return to the level he’s been at the majority of this season. 

The defense for me is a slightly bigger concern, which is why I started a thread on that very topic about a week ago and went through all the details.   

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t even know what point you are trying to make anymore.  If Adley proceeds for the rest of the year as he has as of today, I will be mildly disappointed in his season, considering what he did last year.  In that event, he’d “only” be an all-star level catcher, rather than the top-5 MVP candidate I thought he might be this year, based on what he did in 3/4 of a season last year.  

At the same time, I think it’s important to note that we’re discussing this at a low point for Adley.  His OPS is the lowest it’s been since the 7th game of the season.  He’s got plenty of time to return to the level he’s been at the majority of this season. 

The defense for me is a slightly bigger concern, which is why I started a thread on that very topic about a week ago and went through all the details.   

Didn’t you think he was going to be a 7+ WAR player this year?

The lack of power and the defensive “decline” aren’t just recent.

Edited by Sports Guy

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Didn’t you think he was going to be a 7+ WAR player this year?

The lack of power and the defensive “decline” aren’t just recent.

I already addressed both points.  I’m mildly disappointed based on my expectations going into the season; not really disappointed based on my expectations when we drafted him or before he debuted in the majors.  I do think his power was fine as of three weeks ago and it’s just the last 3 weeks that have been bad.  And I’m not saying the defensive decline was recent.   He hasn’t been as good this year.

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I already addressed both points.  I’m mildly disappointed based on my expectations going into the season; not really disappointed based on my expectations when we drafted him or before he debuted in the majors.  I do think his power was fine as of three weeks ago and it’s just the last 3 weeks that have been bad.  And I’m not saying the defensive decline was recent.   He hasn’t been as good this year.

So he is on a 3ish less WAR pace than you expected and that only mildly disappoints you?

Ok I guess. 

15 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Weight of expectations 

Sophomore slumps

Why is everyone moving the goal posts so much?  Do you think Seattle fans see Rodriguez not hitting as well and just say, well it’s ok. 

Huge difference is Rodriguez signed probably the most lucrative contract in baseball history. If I’m a Mariners fan, I would expect him to hit like the best shortstop in baseball. He’s still on pace to hit more dingers than last year. Adley makes less than a million dollars a year. So who’s the better value player?

10 minutes ago, Os4days said:

Huge difference is Rodriguez signed probably the most lucrative contract in baseball history. If I’m a Mariners fan, I would expect him to hit like the best shortstop in baseball. He’s still on pace to hit more dingers than last year. Adley makes less than a million dollars a year. So who’s the better value player?

That’s completely irrelevant within the context of this conversation.

I'm glad we rested him in the Sunday game with the bonus day off yesterday. 

Other than CS, where do folks see him lacking defensively? Blocking balls? I haven't noticed too much there. I have some quibbles about his glove movement when framing - sometimes he just doesn't need to move it as much as he does, but I don't think that's new. 

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

That’s completely irrelevant within the context of this conversation.

No it isn’t. If you’re paid like a superstar then fans should expect better numbers. My point is that the fans nitpicking at Adley is hyper critical. 

2 minutes ago, Os4days said:

No it isn’t. If you’re paid like a superstar then fans should expect better numbers. My point is that the fans nitpicking at Adley is hyper critical. 

1) Julio isn’t making superstar money this year.

2) What Adley is making is completely irrelevant to what we are talking about.

3) Then argue the points. We are talking  about power and defense. Why is it hyper critical to point out that he is doing way worse, factually speaking(ie, not eye test) on defense and power wise? 

Edited by Sports Guy
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

1) Julio isn’t making superstar money this year.

2) What Adley is making is completely irrelevant to what we are talking about.

3) Then argue the points. We are talking  about power and defense. Why is it hyper critical to point out that he is doing way worse, factually speaking(ie, not eye test) on defense and power wise? 

Are Adleys hitting numbers overall pretty good especially for a catcher? He’s on pace to hit 20+ home runs which is not common for most catchers especially a catcher who is in his second full season.  He also has more walks than Ks. Name me another catcher who has that let alone any positional player. That’s why I’m saying nitpicking. 

Fact baseball has made it much easier to steal bases. While Adley is not Pudge Rodriguez, he’s more than adequate especially for a 2nd year guy. One aspect of defense that can’t be measured with stats is how he handles the pitching staff. For a young guy catching a young staff, it seems like he is doing more than a good job. 

• Haha 1