Vespi up..Zimm down

Sports Guy

9 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don't get the Vespi love.  For that matter, I don't get Zimmermann, either.

Vespi has put up excellent MiL numbers but the stuff doesn’t look great up here.

That said, he has some ability and you just never know with BP arms.

7 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

All true.  I don't disagree with any of that.

I don’t really expect anything out of him but it wouldn’t surprise me if he pops some good seasons here and there. Typical reliever that will likely change from one year to the next, if he ever gets good.

I kind of wish we saw Reed Garrett up here though. He was hitting 96-97 yesterday. Has put up some nice numbers in AAA. Sidearm guy..giving you a different look.  Be nice to see if he can do anything.

• Upvote 2

I've resisted the calls to move DL Hall to the pen, but I have gradually moved to Tony's side of this argument.  I'd like to see them give him a couple of weeks in Norfolks bullpen to re-adjust and get him back up to Baltimore ASAP.

26 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

I've resisted the calls to move DL Hall to the pen, but I have gradually moved to Tony's side of this argument.  I'd like to see them give him a couple of weeks in Norfolks bullpen to re-adjust and get him back up to Baltimore ASAP.

But you can’t really move him right now.

The Os are doing this thing where they are only having him throw 60 pitches, while he tries to get the velo back up.

They are, presumably, doing it because they want him to start. We can’t really get an idea of where he is at pitching 3 innings a week. He just isn’t pitching enough.

I wanted him to get 10-15 starts and while I agree that the command continues to be an issue, the back appears to have been a bigger impediment to him than we realized. So, he may need the whole season (unless he’s brought up as a reliever late in the year) to see if he shows progress. 

It’s an odd situation and just a tough assessment overall. So much to hope for but then so much you actually see and those are obviously 2 different things.

43 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t really expect anything out of him but it wouldn’t surprise me if he pops some good seasons here and there. Typical reliever that will likely change from one year to the next, if he ever gets good.

I kind of wish we saw Reed Garrett up here though. He was hitting 96-97 yesterday. Has put up some nice numbers in AAA. Sidearm guy..giving you a different look.  Be nice to see if he can do anything.

Garrett has options. So does Vespi. I think we’re at the point where we need optionable arms in the last two bullpen spots. 

Voth and Perez aren’t luxuries that we can afford to keep. They have no options. 

13 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The Os are doing this thing where they are only having him throw 60 pitches, while he tries to get the velo back up.

I have no clue what Hall's velo was last night (I don't recall the game showing it).  Maybe it was the angle of the camera, but he looked like he was throwing gas last night.  No hits, 4 BB, 3 K over 3.1.  The control issues are still there, but he looked ventage Hall otherwise.  If someone knows how to get the velo, I'm sure I'm not the only one curious...

I'm still holding hope for a Peralta/Snell type outcome as a starter for Hall long-term.  But he should be a BP option after the AS break (or trade deadline at least).

11 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

I have no clue what Hall's velo was last night (I don't recall the game showing it).  Maybe it was the angle of the camera, but he looked like he was throwing gas last night.  No hits, 4 BB, 3 K over 3.1.  The control issues are still there, but he looked ventage Hall otherwise.  If someone knows how to get the velo, I'm sure I'm not the only one curious...

I'm still holding hope for a Peralta/Snell type outcome as a starter for Hall long-term.  But he should be a BP option after the AS break (or trade deadline at least).

He was 94-95 a lot last night according to statcast.