Tuesday, June 13: Divisional showdown with Blue Jays begins

SteveA

Just now, RarityFlaherty said:

Maybe I’m misremembering, but I feel like people were saying he was an idiot for signing Frazier. 

I think maybe they were saying that signing Frazier was idiotic?

Which isn't the same thing at all.

Elias has a ridiculous resume and agree with him or not he's obviously wicked smart.  Just like all his peers in the other front offices.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think anyone has ever said he wasn't really smart so I'm not sure what your comment is about.

Kind of just impressed by his rebuild.  I think if almost any GM job came open and he wanted it he could get it.  Even for some of the big boy teams.  

I think all of baseball is impressed.   

After 35 years of mediocrity I am just impressed that his guys have drafted so well.   I had gotten to the point I expected most Oriole prospects to disappoint.   But this guy has been entirely different.  

Really kind of amazing to be honest.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Or score 24 runs to match the 24-10 mashing received against the crappy expansion era Blue Jays in 1978.  I think this was the most runs given up by an Orioles team until the 30-3 game.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/TOR/TOR197806260.shtml

I remember that game well.

Listened to it on the radio during a nasty thunderstorm, making the radio all staticky and crackly.   And for some reason as a dorky 13 year old I chose that particular game to draw lines on a piece of paper with a ruler and keep score.   That was one ugly scorecard.   It got lost somewhere over the decades, I would love to find it at the bottom of a box somewhere and see it again.

Larry Harlow and Elrod Hendricks both pitched in that game.

• Upvote 1

2 totally opposite as-can-be situations .....Orioles Payroll ( AND RESULTS) and NY Mets Payroll ( AND RESULTS).....An Example  ?  Max Scherzer tonight  (40+Million per year ) Only pitched 3 inning vs Yankees ....Gave up 7 hits .....6 earned runs .His ERA should just about 5.00 right about now .

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Yea I didn’t get this either. 
    • Why pitch Suarez today instead of yesterday?   That makes no sense to me.  
    • Please don’t compare OAA and dWAR.  OAA and dWAR are not comparable stats.  First of all, OAA is measured in outs, while dWAR is measured in wins.   That’s a very different scale.   Second, OAA is not adjusting for difficulty of position, while dWAR contains a significant adjustment for position.   Third, OAA measures range but doesn’t measure the throwing aspect of being an outfielder.   If you want to compare apples to apples (and I assume you do), Statcast has a statistic called Fielding Runs Value that converts OAA plus the throwing aspect into runs.   Cowser has a +10 FRV, which as the names implies, is measured in runs.  FRV feeds directly into the fWAR calculation, along with a factor that adjusts for difficulty of position, which for Cowser is measured at -4.1 runs.   Meanwhile, rWAR uses Defensive Runs Saved (DRS), which is directly comparable to FRV.  Cowser has a +3 DRS, not as good as his +10 FRV.   Those are the comparable stats, and the 7 run difference converts to about 0.7 WAR. That’s the main difference between Cowser’s 4.1 fWAR and 3.2 rWAR. I see that after Gil’s poor performance yesterday, Cowser now leads him in both rWAR (3.2 to 3.1) and fWAR (4.1 to 2.2).   So, I like Cowser’s chances.      
    • I'm the opposite.  I don't want him sitting too much and getting into his own head.
    • Our key players aren't ready to uphold their part of the deal yet, but the Peak Orioles Teams sometime this decade against these Dodgers before they get too old would be an amazing matchup.      I've only gotten to watch most of a Dodgers game the past week or so, and one of the impressions even though they are HOF and still near the very best is that Freddie and Mookie are fraying some as time continues its unbeaten streak. I think we're the likeliest club of any of the 29 others to be able to out-talent the Dodgers anytime soon.
    • They didn't peak too early.  If they had waited any longer they would have missed the playoffs.
    • Judge's 50% K rate in 84 PA at age 24.5 is a comfort to remember watching another monster in Mayo struggle so much this year. Hopefully Mayo too can use the first off-season knowing what MLB arms are like to become a big MLB plus.
  • Popular Contributors