If you can't beat them, scrotum

zff4

Verducci writes that Clemens’ usual pregame preparation included taking a whirlpool bath at the hottest temperature possible.

“He’d come out looking like a lobster,” Yankee trainer Steve Donahue told Verducci. Donahue would then rub hot liniment all over Clemens’ body.

“Then Donahue would rub the hottest possible liniment on his testicles,” Verducci writes.

“He’d start snorting like a bull,” the trainer said. “That’s when he was ready to pitch."

linky

Looney Tunes meets life. Yet another reason to love baseball...I think.

Testicle groping. Golden thongs.

Please tell me this stuff doesn't go on in the Oriole's clubhouse. :leaving:

So many weird baseball stories:

Rick Sutcliffe once reached under a bathroom stall to touch Rhomberg on the toe. Not knowing who did it, Rhomberg went around the clubhouse and touched each player. Brook Jacoby once told of tagging Rhomberg with a ball in the minors, then throwing it out of the stadium. Jacoby said that Rhomberg spent two hours looking for the ball before finding it. An umpire once halted play during a game in New York to tell Yankees players to stop touching Rhomberg.

So many weird baseball stories:
Thanks for the Rhomberg story. I didn't know about him. Wikipedia singles out Hargrove as among the players who liked to touch Rhomberg and run away. Rhomberg had a compulsion to touch anyone who touched him and went into a near panic when he was unable to return the touch.

Wiki notes: If a person somehow eluded his return touch, Rhomberg would send a letter that said, "This constitutes a touch."

In a way its cruel, but at the same time a little funny:

Rohn and Rhomberg were teammates in Venezuela for winter ball, and Rohn touched him one night, then ran off to the clubhouse to hide after his last at-bat.

"He looked for me for two hours," Rohn recalled. "I was hiding under desks, in the shower, the bathroom. He couldn't find me."

Rohn eventually returned to his hotel, thinking he had outfoxed Rhomberg. But at 3 in the morning, there was a knock at his door. A sleepy Rohn stumbled out of bed to open it.

"It was Rhomberg. He touched me and ran away," Rohn said.

Archived